Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: after treatment for mites the one hive looks like this  (Read 6733 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
after treatment for mites the one hive looks like this
« on: August 09, 2012, 05:20:23 pm »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

normal after 3 days?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: after treatment for mites the one hive looks like this
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:01:27 pm »
Depends.   What did you use to treat with. 

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:03:24 pm »
MAQS

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 02:12:25 am »
Hey, keep your mites away from the downunder section-for now anyway!  It looks like biosecurity let one slip over the border again.  By the way, they've just employed a local apiary biosecurity officer here in the north, to keep things monitored.  Maybe because they found a dead mite in the port.

We will certainly be picking all your brains though if we get varroa here.

Lone

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 05:18:40 am »
Really Lone, they found one did they? Any news reports? I hadn't caught up with that bit of information.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 05:55:06 am »
It was in January, Berny.  There is a report of a mite being found about halfway down this article.  http://www.honeybee.org.au/pdf/JanFeb%202012.pdf

"Advice 111 - 25 January 2012
I thought people may wish to have an update on what has happened in Townsville.
Since Advice 110, the mite found has been identified as Varroa jacobsoni. There were reports out that it was a juvenile mite but these were incorrect. It was a ―normal‖ female mite.
As a result of the interception and some thinking that some of the cerana may have gone off the ship, the Queensland Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation (DEEDI), which is the old DPI, mounted a surveillance response with negative results. There are traps in place and the local beekeepers have been circularised to let them know what has happened and asking them to be on the lookout for unusual bees.
It is a relief to know that it is most likely that no cerana made it off the ship. The fact that a mite was found on the bees is a concern. It shows how easily Varroa could be introduced into northern Australia and with the ready pool of cerana in the Cairns area, it would have a lot of bees to reproduce on."

Lone

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 06:38:22 pm »
Thanks for the article Lone, it's unfortunate that these things don't make a bit more of a splash in the mainstream media.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 02:00:06 am »
i love it how this guy has his hive right in the open in the back yard, and the neighbors are cool with it.  :)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:28:57 am »
when I have used MAQS all colonies beard like that.  How many days from the start is it?

Offline Satch

• House Bee
  • Grandpa and Brandon in the hives
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 03:06:11 pm »
Like the setup on the 2x's

Offline Gary and Margaret - kiwimana

• House Bee
    • kiwimana
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 12:10:15 am »
Be keen to hear what you guys think of MAQS, we are looking at getting it approved here.

The mites are becoming resistant to Apistan etc, so we need to find something that the mites won't become resistant to.

See ya...Gary
Thanks

Gary and Margaret
We blog and Podcast at http://kiwimana.co.nz

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 08:45:43 am »
Be keen to hear what you guys think of MAQS, we are looking at getting it approved here.

The mites are becoming resistant to Apistan etc, so we need to find something that the mites won't become resistant to.

See ya...Gary
cant you use oxalic there?   I like the quick strips but they are to expensive.  The treating with super on thing really does nothing for me maybe because I'm to lazy to remove heavy supers to place pads in the brood nest then put supers back on.  Also you have to watch the temps for at least the first couple of days.  It would really suck to have to rush out and pull the pads back out because it gets to hot.  I played around on a small scale using only one pad.  I liked the results but wish I could talk to someone that tried it on say 50 or 100 colonies.    
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:52:09 am by danno »

Offline Gary and Margaret - kiwimana

• House Bee
    • kiwimana
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 08:49:59 pm »

See ya...Gary
cant you use oxalic there?   I like the quick strips but they are to expensive.  The treating with super on thing really does nothing for me maybe because I'm to lazy to remove heavy supers to place pads in the brood nest then put supers back on.  Also you have to watch the temps for at least the first couple of days.  It would really suck to have to rush out and pull the pads back out because it gets to hot.  I played around on a small scale using only one pad.  I liked the results but wish I could talk to someone that tried it on say 50 or 100 colonies.    

Thanks Danno,

The problem with oxalic acid in New Zealand is it can only be used effectely when the hive is broodless.

This doesn’t happen in Auckland very much at all, so we only have a limited period its any good.

Treatments like Apistan are becoming less and less effective in NZ as the mites are grown tolerant to them.  Not that we personally use that anyway we have been using Api Life Var.

Hence why we are looking at alternative treatments at the moment like MAQS.
Thanks

Gary and Margaret
We blog and Podcast at http://kiwimana.co.nz

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 08:36:04 am »

See ya...Gary

Thanks Danno,

The problem with oxalic acid in New Zealand is it can only be used effectely when the hive is broodless.

This doesn’t happen in Auckland very much at all, so we only have a limited period its any good.

Treatments like Apistan are becoming less and less effective in NZ as the mites are grown tolerant to them.  Not that we personally use that anyway we have been using Api Life Var.

Hence why we are looking at alternative treatments at the moment like MAQS.

Have you ever tried  oxalic sublimination?   It can be used often as needed unlike dribbling oxalic.  When brood is present it takes 3 burns a week apart.   

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 06:44:37 pm »
How do you do oxalic sublimation?