Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Large Swarm On Brick Column  (Read 5606 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Large Swarm On Brick Column
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:43:21 pm »
These had actually gone into the interior of the column and set up shop but I was able to run them out the same day they swarmed in. Was a very good sized swarm.

...JP

Huge Honey Bee Swarm On Brick Column
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline DLMKA

• New Bee
Re: Large Swarm On Brick Column
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 02:05:12 pm »
I missed out on doing a similar removal this spring.  He told me they flew off but I suspect they moved in and I'll be getting a call in the spring again.  Glad to know that bee quick and smoke will get a colony to abandon their new home if they've only been there for a day or so.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 03:33:13 pm »
Great video JP.   So Bee Quick works to run out roaches also?    :-D

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:26:54 pm »
That was a good size roach there JP. :shock:

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:53:52 am »
That was great JP, very educational once again. I will share this with my friend Joanne who just purchased some bee quick in case we have to use some.

I swear your queens out there are more golden in color and much larger than ours here. I think that is why you can find them so easy. I wonder if you could find a California queen? :-D

Annette
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:13:01 am by annette »

Offline SkepWrangler

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 02:22:25 am »
Hi JP,

Very nice video, thanks.

Quick question about how you applied the BeeQuick. From the audio, it sounds like you used the spritzer to spray it into the gap on the left hand side.  Did you use anything to direct the spray (like a straw or anything) or just the spray cap that comes on the bottle?

Thanks,
SkepWrangler

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:47:24 am »
Thanks for the video JP, and for explaining what you are doing and what is going on with the bees.  You make it look easy! 

I tried a bee quick removal on a swarm earlier this season, but was not successful on getting the bees to come out.  They had moved in within the hour before I got there, and I applied the bee quick within the next hour so they had not been in that long.  Only about 100 - 150 bees came out.
The entrance hole was not very big.  This was in a cinder block wall.  I suspect maybe the bees entered and then had a path to where they were making their colony, thus most of the bees were too far from the hole to be affected by the bee quick. 

Any how , it is nice to see how it work!  :)

John

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 05:56:01 pm »
Annette, I hear it's easy to find California queens in the S.F. area...just look for the feather boas!  :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 08:37:32 pm »
 :-D

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 11:16:45 am »
Annette, I hear it's easy to find California queens in the S.F. area...just look for the feather boas!  :-D

Scott

:lau: :lau:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 11:51:14 pm »
 Skep and John, I put the hand sprayer on pin stream mode and was very careful to use just a little bit to get them moving. A little goes a LONG way with bee repellant.

Because the column was open at the top, this was going to be their exit and thus I was successful jousting them out but... You have to be very careful how you apply bee repellant. In most cases you really want to apply the repellant behind the bees to run them out of the void space. Buildings have multiple void spaces where they can go deeper in. If you apply it in front of their exit you run the risk of them going further into the building and that's definitely not a good thing.

Once it is applied in front of them it becomes a barrier they do not want to cross. If I would have applied it the width of the opening in that column I would have run them to the very bottom of the column. By giving them some fresh air to get to they will choose that route every time. Remember a little goes a long way. When you get them moving  put the bottle down.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 11:22:45 am »
Thanks for the comment back JP.  In the situation where I attempted the bee quick removal the opening could barely fit a straw ( which I used to try to get the BQ in better).  So your comment makes sense and I probably just drove most of the bees further in.   Always learning here on this site, so much thanks to you and all the others who share their knowledge and experience!

John

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 01:58:49 pm »
Awesome video! 
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 02:56:55 pm »
Great video JP.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 11:49:13 pm »
Cool video.  8-) It is always fascinating to watch how they fan and march in the box when the queen is in it. When your movie comes out will you call it the march of the bees ?  :lol:

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 05:33:47 pm »
miss liz likes it!

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline beek1951

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 11:25:31 pm »
Just don't use Honey-Robber. Not if you plan on stopping for a beverage on the way home.
I went to get some B-Quick and they were out, so I got a quart of Honey-Robber. I was
filling up a eyedropper bottle I carry in my tool trailer and spilled some in the sink. House
smelled like vomit for a week.
Emil in Texas

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 12:44:12 am »
Bee quick wasn't readily available about three years or so back during a short period of time. It was then that I purchased a metal container of honey robber. I don't much care for the stuff for bee removals. Additionally, Allen Bukley had my truck smelling like the stuff for over a week once. Nasty smelling stuff!

...JP

anything