Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finally on the verge...  (Read 3035 times)

Offline anangel44

• Brood
Finally on the verge...
« on: September 25, 2013, 04:32:32 pm »
I'm the green rookie, here.  Hello!
I have been interested in beekeeping for years, and with years of baby making now behind me, we are finally on the verge of beekeeping.
A super knowledgable and kind beekeeper came out to our place last night & tried to capture some bees from a high place, but it was just too high...so we have a nuc box out with some yummy feed & hoping to give them a nice apartment.  I know they'll be rushing before winter to get their brood & stores up, but we're trying anyway. 
Nonetheless, come spring we'll have bees no matter if these girls make it or not...
Glad to have good support & the wealth of bee enlightenment here!
Thanks!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Finally on the verge...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 11:09:52 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Anangel44.  You may want to find a local bee club and join.  And you maybe able to get the beek that came out to help mentor you.  You need to give your location, on getting help, different places can be a lot different.  If you have any questions, just post them.  Good luck

Joe

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:07:52 am »
Welcome to the bee forum.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 01:00:37 pm »
welcome.  you'll want to figure out your source for spring bees now.  orders usually go in for packages around February.  you can find nucs and hives later in the year, but they'll be more expensive.

if you find a club, you may find someone willing to teach you swarm catching and help you get set up.  cheaper and fun  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:57:51 pm »
There are ways to baby just about any bees through winter, so if you get your fall swarm, post a question. 

Best wishes as a beek.

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 03:30:51 am »
Welcome, anangel!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 08:46:21 pm »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Variable

• House Bee
    • Two Little Ladies Apiary Hive Data
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 07:17:42 pm »
anangle,
Welcome. Where are you lost at? Some of the fine folks here can come and find you if you need.... But really it helps us (by us I mean them 'cuz I have no idea) give advice if we have an idea of where you are. Climate, local plants etc are all different for different areas. Just saying... Hope you are able to get those girls....
I want to beelieve.
WA Apiary ID WA14-077
8 medium hives. 5 Langstroth, 3 Nuc
See hive data at
http://twolittleladiesapiary.com/cms/node/6
https://www.facebook.com/twolittleladiesapiary