Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cutout from hell  (Read 3719 times)

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
cutout from hell
« on: June 11, 2007, 09:03:53 pm »
Looked pretty easy from the start. I was told that they were in under the siding in the wall, but when I got there I could hear them in the ceiling if the laundry room. So first step was to remove the sheetrock and start cleaning out comb. The owner of the building said they had been in there two or three years and that they had not been bothering anybody so they left them be. A few weeks ago they started getting aggressive so she started looking for somebody to remove them. The are mean as hell and I never found the queen so I am guessing that they were queenless. I will look for a queen in a few days and combine them into another hive if I need be. It took me 6 hours to get all the comb cleaned out and save as many of the bees as I could. I romeved around 100 lbs of honey which I was not prepared to deal with this early in the year. My right hand is swollen shut and I have three stings on the left one. Walls, floors and I  were covered in honey. Glad I don't do the cleanup.   

Sugarbush Bees

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: cutout from hell
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 09:26:52 pm »
Man what a cutout!!! I wish that I could have been there to help you. I am a sucker for tough projects. Good luck with your new girls.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 10:01:03 pm »
 ;)
That little thing? Probably took you a half an hour at the most.
;)
Sincerely,
Brendhan

currently in Raleigh, NC.
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 06:31:18 am »
Yeah it looks like a walk in the park in the pictures.....kamekazi little buggers.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 08:40:55 am »
You should have know better than to expect any type of sympathy from the jokers around here :-\ Some beautiful comb though. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 10:26:58 am »
Opened the hive up this morning to search for a queen. I got two frames out before all hell broke loose; really starting to hate this colony and I have only had them a week :-P Well the two frames I pulled had several new queen cells on them so I guess I know what the problem is. I have a split that was due to hatch out a new queen this weekend so I checked on them and one queen is hatched and there was one unhatched cell in the hive that she hadn't gotten to yet. So I shook that frame and added it to the cutout colony and hopefully that will fix them.   
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 12:03:55 pm »
bluegrass, yep cutout from the dark side.  Nice pictures, I admire your stamina.  Best of this beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 02:26:10 pm »
I have had mean cut outs before Let them bee for a weeek or three they will settle down alittle
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 06:42:16 am »
I will try again next weekend and see how the new queen is doing.....next time I am wearing all the bee garb :evil:
Sugarbush Bees