Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I am semi legal  (Read 9089 times)

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
I am semi legal
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 12:04:05 am »
you sound like your under 16. If the inspector is any  kind of beek at all he should be thrilled that your expanding, and the extra trip shouldn't be an issue.
Some call me a bee farmer, I prefer rancher. What
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
I am semi legal
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 03:21:34 pm »
I just turned 15 in late June :) .

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
I am semi legal
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 08:50:01 pm »
Good for you. I'm always glad to see young people getting in to beekeeping. there are way to few.
Good luck.
Some call me a bee farmer, I prefer rancher. What
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
I am semi legal
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 05:55:57 pm »
Did the inspector have an issue with being in an urban area? In Kentucky they are trying to promote urban beekeeping more and more. Production in town is great with all the flowers and flowering trees that are planted around everybody's yards. I do try to move some of my hives out onto farms when I can find people willing to have them around. I don't like migration and have a hard time finding places to keep hives year around.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
I am semi legal
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 11:57:24 pm »
I am suburban. The area is zoned residential. The inspector had no problem . However I am still not letting code enforcement know I have the bees.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
I am semi legal
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2006, 01:05:37 am »
In Maryland one is required by law to register. I didn't register in the spring and one day early this summer an application just showed up in the mail. Fortunately, the 2 inspectors who handle most of the state are extremely knowledgable, experienced beekeepers. The state Dept. of Agriculture is also headed by a very capable gentleman (former beekeeper) and they are tied very closely to the research center in Beltsville MD. Generally speaking it's a pretty progressive environment, one that I feel fortunate to be immersed in. Oddly, in Washington DC beekeeping is illegal.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
I am semi legal
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2006, 01:36:49 am »
Arkansas requires registration also as well as promote beekeeping in the state.  I botched the paperwork the first time.  By the time I understood it it was this last spring.  Now that I think about it I haven't received my registration number yet.  I have a place out of town offerred to me and plan on getting that place registered also.  

We are still planning on moving to either North or South Dakota, Iowa,  Wisconsin or possibly back to Minnesota (born and raised until USAF retired me here) I guess I'll need to see what all the requirements as well as time frame constraints for transporting hives or if it would be better to sell/give away.  I have a feeling certification is going to be required either way.  Not that I'm worried, I'ld love to have some one with experience to talk to in person.

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

anything