Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The gift of bees,,,  (Read 8044 times)

Offline diggity

• House Bee
    • Garden Imperative
Re: The gift of bees,,,
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 05:17:30 pm »
Don't be dissuaded so easily - Heifer is a great organization. 

They have a campus (learning center, business office, and functioning farm) in Rutland, MA, which is just one town away from me.  I've been there many times.  The folks who run it are great people, they attract lots of young volunteers, and maintain excellent missionary programs in numerous developing countries.  They also give back to the local community, with events at the farm, summer camps, and educational programs at local schools and churches - yes, of course they're always looking for donations at these functions (as they should), but it's a happy quid pro quo.  They bring livestock in to our church for the living Pageant at Christmas time - it's so funny to see a donkey walking up to the altar!  :-)

We donate every year.  We usually donate in other people's names, as Christmas gifts, etc.  After all, what kind of holiday gift do you get Dear Aunt Tillie, or the neighbors you hardly ever see?  You can buy a bee hive, or some baby chicks, or a share of a cow or something in their name - Heifer gives you a card explaining what the gift is.  Aunt Tillie will love it,  you'll feel good about it, and the money will go to good use.

As for whether your money goes to individual gifts or the general fund, they are very up front about this.  I think it's just impractical to manage every single bunny, chicken, or bee.
Gardening advocate and author of the book Garden Imperative (http://gardenimperative.blogspot.com)

bigbearomaha

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 06:15:18 pm »
Yes, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to tell someone they can  give this specific item and later on tell them
"Well, actually you gave x amount of dollars that we'll use how we think is best."

If they are 'selling' something specific, then people should expect that is what they are getting (or giving in this case.)

maybe it's just me though.

Big Bear

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 08:26:40 pm »
The $30 gets them not only a package of bees but the whole hive also.

:? :? $30 is this a hive of bees or is this a share of a hive  :? :?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your email to Heifer International.

In regards to your enquiry, $30 is the cost of a full hive of honeybees.  Honeybees are of great benefit to Heifer International project partners.  Honoring a friend or family member with honeybees is a gift that shows you cherish both people and the environment. The way bees work together is a lesson for us all. They produce food, care for the young, recycle waste and create an effective, efficient community. They pollinate fruits, flowers and vegetables in the process--a benefit for us. a package of Heifer bees and a hive gives families better crops, candle wax, pollen for medicine and honey to eat and sell.

If you would like to donate a hive of honeybees you may do so either online, by contacting us at 1 888 548 6437 Heifer International

Attn: Donor Services
PO Box 8058
Little Rock AR 72203

I hope this helps, and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

Amy Davis
Donor Services Representative
Heifer International

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 08:35:18 pm »
Looks like there is a big discrepancy between what is written and what people say. THAT should send up red flags. When I donate to someone, it isn't about ME feeling good about it, it is to help the recipient. I will help someone right here in my own community and then I KNOW what my efforts are going for. Anyone wants to support this organization, it is their business, it isn't for me. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 10:04:09 pm »
charity navigator says 67% of funds go tot he programs and 33% for administration/fundraising.  that's close enough to united way that i will stay far far away.
I adored Heifer International until I found that one, too. Their mission is so awesome, and so self sustaining in the way they set it up, but so much going to administration!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

bigbearomaha

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 11:21:34 pm »
In all fairness, offices don't pay for themselves.  Not everyone in an active non profit group is a volunteer, to keep things going, there will be some people who need to pay their bills while doing the full time work.  Also, there are expenses to having an office in terms of rent, utilities, desks, printers, phones, they don't get those things for free just because they are a non profit group.

Not only are those things not free, they're not exactly cheap either.

Administrative costs are part of any operation, for profit or otherwise.

I just think there should be more openness in the fund raising efforts to specify what you are contributing to and how it will will be used.

I have donated to many non profits 'general funds' because  I believe in the work they do and know that those people would like to make a living doing something they love to do.  No one is asking to get rich in these types of organizations, but paying the rent and feeding ones kids might be helpful.

But again, if you are asking for operational funds, make it clear.  if you are seeking funds to go toward the end beneficiary, specify that as well.

but, maybe that's just me who sees it that way.

Big Bear

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 12:46:10 am »
I get it that businesses don't run themselves, or strictly on volunteer time. But some fundraising organizations manage to spend far less on administrative costs. Could just be that their other costs are minimal, and so administrative costs look imbalanced compared to the rest...

I will say, though, that I get glossy, color, large booklets from them all the time! I want to tell them to stop spending so much money on these materials, as they are also sending me the same info in e-mail format! Save costs and materials and just e-mail the pledge requests!
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

bigbearomaha

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 08:23:43 am »
Oh, I agree with you.  No one likes to see "wasteful" spending, especially from a non-profit.

However, it's a fine line on the use of 'fancy' props like the slick glossy catalogs, or more plain fare because there are so many people out there like you and I who don't need to be 'sold' to in order to get our attention, "we just want the facts ma'am", so to speak. 

On the other hand, there are lots of people out there with the attitude that if you want to be 'professional'  you have to look it.

Those folks are the ones who won't give the time of day to a plain brown wrapper because it's not exciting enough or not entertaining enough or whatever they expect.

Trying to get a variety of people's attention and interest in the non-profit arena is a tough market because you know you can't please everyone, yet that's exactly what they want you to do.

For me, my attention goes to those who seem most practical, more 'hand up" instead of 'hand out' and more 'creative' with their attention getting measures instead of spending the extra buck or ten for the 'fancy' attention getters.

I can't say that  I have really thought about this particular group as it is the first time I have ever heard of them, in this thread.

Big Bear

Offline diggity

• House Bee
    • Garden Imperative
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 10:16:45 am »
My final comment, I just hate to see people pass judgement so quickly on such a fine charity.  Donate to Heifer or donate elsewhere - it's really none of my business - but I can assure you they are fine people doing good work in the world.  I suspect their administrative costs are high in part because of the working farms they run.  Yes, visitors to the farm have the opportunity to make a donation, but nobody pesters you about it, and most people I see leave without donating, so I suspect the farms are run at a loss.  At the same time, those visitors leave having learned something about the plight of 3rd world nations, famine, political instability, and self-sustaining agriculture.  They also learn about sustainable food production here at home too.  Once we were there when a bus full of young kids from an inner city (I think it was Boston - could have been Providence, don't remember exactly) showed up.  You could see by the expressions of wonder on their faces that this was the first experience many of them had on a farm, and that they were learning a lot about where food really comes from.

As for whether your dollars actually go to buy an actual mooing cow, or into a pool which then gets split up to buy lots of cows, bees, rabbits, chickens, etc, I guess you could call that gimmicky if you want to, but my experience has been that they are very up-front about it.  They probably do it because of the charity-as-a-gift aspect.  It just sounds a lot nicer to tell Aunt Tillie that you gave a sheep in her name, than to tell her that you contributed on her behalf into a general fund.   All charities compete for a limited supply of donor cash, and this is Heifer's niche.

Anyway, when it comes to charities, let your dollars follow your heart.  Cheers and God bless.  :-)
Gardening advocate and author of the book Garden Imperative (http://gardenimperative.blogspot.com)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 08:00:43 pm »
i wonder if I could donate a hive of bees to my neighbor,   ummmm yeah ,my neighbor

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 10:56:44 pm »
Those folks are the ones who won't give the time of day to a plain brown wrapper because it's not exciting enough or not entertaining enough or whatever they expect.

Trying to get a variety of people's attention and interest in the non-profit arena is a tough market because you know you can't please everyone, yet that's exactly what they want you to do.
Very true, and a great point.

My final comment, I just hate to see people pass judgement so quickly on such a fine charity.  Donate to Heifer or donate elsewhere - it's really none of my business - but I can assure you they are fine people doing good work in the world.  I suspect their administrative costs are high in part because of the working farms they run.  Yes, visitors to the farm have the opportunity to make a donation, but nobody pesters you about it, and most people I see leave without donating, so I suspect the farms are run at a loss.  At the same time, those visitors leave having learned something about the plight of 3rd world nations, famine, political instability, and self-sustaining agriculture.  They also learn about sustainable food production here at home too.  Once we were there when a bus full of young kids from an inner city (I think it was Boston - could have been Providence, don't remember exactly) showed up.  You could see by the expressions of wonder on their faces that this was the first experience many of them had on a farm, and that they were learning a lot about where food really comes from.
Ok, I will give them another chance. I have never had such a great feeling as when donating to them--I'd say their beautiful glossy literature probably did its trick on me :)
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 11:00:30 pm »
i wonder if I could donate a hive of bees to my neighbor,   ummmm yeah ,my neighbor

I think there are plenty of under privileged people right here in our own country, and probably in your community. How about using the same resources to take a kid under your wing and get them involved? I guess I would rather see first hand how my efforts do, rather than assume.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2010, 11:03:04 pm »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 12:22:41 am »
Free Bees Network

Take a look at this page for the Free Bees Network and please join us if you are interested in getting more bees out in the world and more beekeepers to help each other.

This is a new project and we think it is worthwhile to help one another get going and stay going.

Big Bear