Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Question?  (Read 3532 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Swarm Question?
« on: April 03, 2009, 11:46:41 pm »
I saw a HUGE swarm today. It was about the diameter of a 5gal. bucket and about 4 - 5 feet long. There are lots of hives in the area but none with anywhere near that many bees. All the hives are single boxes or nucs. Now for the question. Is it possible that several hives swarmed and pitched in the same spot?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Swarm Question?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:50:26 pm »
I don't quite understand the question. Are you asking if its possible that several different swarms combined with each other and then rested together in one giant cluster?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 12:10:53 am »
Yes. Or did a hive swam and later another one or two swarmed and joined the first swarm already hanging in the tree?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 01:04:39 am »
It sounds more like a tree was cut and they absconded.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 01:43:53 am »
It sounds more like a tree was cut and they absconded.

That sounds reasonable. 

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 02:11:01 am »
On the other hand, swarms large enough to nearly fill a 5 gallon bucket can occasionally be found.  Always as a primary swarm, never as an after swarm.  It could be a hive absconding but it is just as likely a very large swarm.  We used to calls those a double deep swarm--highly prized.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 04:58:06 am »
Yes. Or did a hive swam and later another one or two swarmed and joined the first swarm already hanging in the tree?

Steve

I think the really large swarms we see are absconds or even primary swarms. My largest seem to be early or late summer, which to me would point towards an abscond.

Something really huge this time of year could be a very large primary swarm or an abscond.

Most people tell me the swarm cluster we see now was bigger yesterday, so they seem to lose bees more than gain them as the days go on.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com