Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Marketing Goldenrod  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Marketing Goldenrod
« on: October 29, 2005, 09:23:14 am »
Does anyone have any ideas on how to market Goldenrod honey?  I'm leary of just sitting it out there with the spring and summer honeys for fear it might turn customers off.  On the other hand, I don't care to keep it "under the counter" as if it's some elicit substance.  Should I keep a small smell/taste sample for people to check out before buying?

-- Kris

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
Re: Marketing Goldenrod
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 09:57:25 am »
Quote from: Kris^
Does anyone have any ideas on how to market Goldenrod honey?  I'm leary of just sitting it out there with the spring and summer honeys for fear it might turn customers off.  On the other hand, I don't care to keep it "under the counter" as if it's some elicit substance.  Should I keep a small smell/taste sample for people to check out before buying?

-- Kris
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Rule of thumb, If you would eat the honey yourself, sell it.  If you wouldn't eat it feed it to the bees

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Marketing Goldenrod
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 10:33:05 am »
I love goldenrod honey.  Many customers do too.  Put it in a seperate space on your table or shelf and label it as Goldenrod honey.  Price it more expensive by at least a quarter and explain to anyone who asks that it's strong flavored honey.  Give out samples, if you're allowed to.  I've never seen any problem selling it, many people prefer it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
Marketing Goldenrod
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 10:42:03 am »
I prefer it to lite honey, just cause its golden rod dosn't mean its a lesser
honey!
    its like maple syrup, fancy light amber sells for a higher price but I
think it has no taste,
  B grade dark amber on the other hand sells for much less and as far as I'm concerned its what goes on my pancakes, not because of the price!
 the locals here in Vermont prefer something with alittle more taste.
    yes taste testing is a great idea and it brings in more sales
 but remember to tell the customer to take small samples of each
 so the first one is not all they taste.
from what I have read golden rod also makes good creamed honey
 if they still don't want it make stuff with it like honey mustard.
thats my veiw!
 trebor

Anonymous

Marketing Goldenrod
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 11:05:49 am »
The goldenrod I tried at our last COBA meeting tasted like butterscotch.  They say it actually increases in that flavor over time.

anything