Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from a nosey nieghbour! (Cheshire, UK)  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Sparklepeeps

• Brood
Hello from a nosey nieghbour! (Cheshire, UK)
« on: April 18, 2007, 07:21:00 pm »
Hello.

My neighbour has two bee hives, only one of them currently in use. I am fascinated by them, especially as I came home today to find that he had added a home made extention to it!

I have joined this forum to learn a little more about what is going on over the fence (talk about nosey!). I would dabble into the world of bee keeping myself, but it looks like an expensive past time so I am happy to watch from the side lines right now!

Looking forward to learning lots and chatting to you all.

Offline shakerbeeman

• House Bee
Re: Hello from a nosey nieghbour! (Cheshire, UK)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 07:27:46 pm »
Bee carefull, you might get the bug! :-D

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 04:58:17 am »
RUN NOW, otherwise it's just...all that money and all that time spent for the bees, oh dear oh dear, and you know what the most painful/funny part is? you don't regret it a bit :-D
ah, for really small scale it shouldn't be all that expensive, the problem usually occurs when one catches another swarm, and another one, oh and you off course have to do a split..., LOL

good luck!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 09:14:23 am »
Get in there and find out if you can help out!  If you donate labor and interest, you might be able to get some free honey or cheap equipment!

:)

Most of the money is the initial investment.  From there it just pays you back!! :)  Ha ha

Rick
Rick

Offline organicgrl37

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 04:03:15 pm »
Beware- I was a nosey neighbor and ended up working full-time for the guy. We ended up having about 100 hives spread out over central and northern MA. It is fun and truly fascinating. Often once you get involved and meet a group of bee-folk they will help you set up. I ended up with all kinds of free equipment (handy me downs). I ended up donating to another new bee-keeper when I had to move away. I say never stand back and be nosey. Get in their and get your hands dirty, you won't regret it.

Offline beehive lane

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 05:07:43 am »
I used to live in Cheshire. Where do you live? I was just outside of Winsford. Great rolling hills, green, wonderful. Crappy town centre though! Ha ha. Welcome!
Syd

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 08:57:00 am »
Welcome to the forum, it does cost a little but after you spend time working a hive, watching , learning, get some honey, wax, and just the enjoyment you will see it is well worth the cost......
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 04:45:25 pm »
Beekeeping is one of the cheapest hobbies around :-D well cheaper than flying lessons anyway. But I would be willing to bet that it would cost you twice what it costs us here. Landrovers seem to be the only thing that that does not hold true for.
Sugarbush Bees

anything