Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Licensed Beekeeper  (Read 8897 times)

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
Licensed Beekeeper
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:21:34 pm »
I know its foolish as I don't even have any bees yet.  (Waiting for the call saying my nucs are ready for pick up)  I got my apiary license from the state of PA today so feeling very much a beekeeper just without the bees.  Looking forward to the day. Thanks for listening gang.

CV Bees
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Licensed Beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:28:44 pm »
Swore I wasn't gonna,but i renewed my apiary license this year.
I don't think they have resumed apiary inspections again.Only queen sellers and maybe nuc  sellers.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:02:42 pm »
I thought this year was the year for mine to be renewed but I haven't received a renewal form yet.  Won't bother if they don't send it.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline zzen01

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 02:15:11 pm »
"apiary license" What is THAT? This sounds like a way for the Government to wheddle MORE money out of people.

Offline Bee Whisper82

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 04:24:44 pm »
"apiary license" What is THAT? This sounds like a way for the Government to wheedle MORE money out of people.

Yea I know they want to be in control of everything we do.  Does Virginia have a apiary license?   I hope not.  I like the whole idea of just working my bees in peace and not worrying about all that other stuff.    ;)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 05:14:10 pm »
I registered two yrs ago. They send me a neat truck sticker every year that says "registered beekeeper" Everyone hems and haws over the credentials, oooh!

...JP  :-D
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 05:20:46 pm »
I bet the 10 bucks I spent for the license I won't get no dang sticker.... stinkin cheapskates.    :-P

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 07:07:45 pm »
CV,
Before last year you would get inspected once in a while. Now you'll be lucky to ever get a inspection.

Offline greezykid

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 07:17:18 pm »
I've tried,call local office 3 times always get a recording,
there going to call if I leave my number recording always
says there on the phone,no call in 2 weeks so I looked up
agent that covers my county,sent him e-mail that was a
week ago no answer.Don't you just love how effecient our
goverment employees are.

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 07:41:11 pm »
CV,
Before last year you would get inspected once in a while. Now you'll be lucky to ever get a inspection.

Heard about it through the local club and being military hard to not follow a rule although not enforced and means nothing.  I follow those every day.  Also nice to have when you are trying to find a place to put your bees or so I thought... I realize now no one cares they just want bees on their farm, orchard, property, etc

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 10:15:24 pm »
Im not sure but it may put you on a registry for commercial sprayers if it ever becomes a problem

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 02:04:44 am »

I don't think they have resumed apiary inspections again.Only queen sellers and maybe nuc  sellers.
Just wondering.....Does PA inspect queen breeders and nuc producers???  If we have no inspectors who does the inspections??
Jim

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 07:43:03 am »

I don't think they have resumed apiary inspections again.Only queen sellers and maybe nuc  sellers.
Just wondering.....Does PA inspect queen breeders and nuc producers???  If we have no inspectors who does the inspections??
Jim
My understanding is that you will be inspected if you are selling bees and queens. If you want inspected,just sell a queen I've been told.

maybe Bjorn could answer this better.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 10:02:06 am »
My understanding is that you will be inspected if you are selling bees and queens. If you want inspected,just sell a queen I've been told.

I am pretty sure that to be accurate and I believe that the inspection is annually instead of every two years if you are selling queens.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 11:14:23 am »
In my area the mosquito abatement team won't avoid spraying in the area of your hives unless you can give them your registration info.

Also, I don't think registration is really that big of a deal.  It's super cheap and if there are bee programs in your state they can use all the help they can get.  Here in Northern Utah our bee inspector is a volunteer and doesn't get paid to take time out of his life to come see your bees.  The last thing he is going to do is start doing random inspections at his cost.  Unless you've got a serious concern he won't come out to inspect your bees.  He'll usually try to help solve the issues over the phone.

An example of reg. dollars at work.  The state bee people are trying to get certain qualifications for honey so that people can't sell inferior product in stores if it's labeled as "honey."  I'm certainly willing to pay my $10/year for up to 20 hives!

I would be most people are part of some club or organization that costs more than that per year and they pay that.  Get registered.... it's the right thing to do!!

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 11:24:23 am »
In my area the mosquito abatement team won't avoid spraying in the area of your hives unless you can give them your registration info.

Also, I don't think registration is really that big of a deal.  It's super cheap and if there are bee programs in your state they can use all the help they can get.  Here in Northern Utah our bee inspector is a volunteer and doesn't get paid to take time out of his life to come see your bees.  The last thing he is going to do is start doing random inspections at his cost.  Unless you've got a serious concern he won't come out to inspect your bees.  He'll usually try to help solve the issues over the phone.

An example of reg. dollars at work.  The state bee people are trying to get certain qualifications for honey so that people can't sell inferior product in stores if it's labeled as "honey."  I'm certainly willing to pay my $10/year for up to 20 hives!

I would be most people are part of some club or organization that costs more than that per year and they pay that.  Get registered.... it's the right thing to do!!

Yea, Hell, $10.00 here, and $10.00 There, a $1,000,000.00 here, a $1,000,000.00 there, pretty soon it all adds up to some real dollars (if a dollar was worth anything). :-D :roll: ;) :) :( :-X :-x
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 11:33:24 am »
in all fairness,the program was originally established to stop the spread of American Foul Brood. It was very effective and I really hope that they are able to resume inspections. The inspectors can be a keepers friend,especially if it stops an outbreak near you.
Our fee is 10 dollars every two years. I suggested maybe local clubs could create a pool of inspectors and pay for an inspection if one was requested by a member.
Lets face it,not everyone knows what they are looking at when going through the beehive.And it would be nice if someone could show you when something is terribly wrong and going to put every apiary in the area at risk.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 03:35:20 pm »
I found paying the $10 to be more beneficial than a nuisance.  I mean seriously...$10 for a seasoned inspector to come out to your place when you ask him to be there, every other year.  That's a bargain.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 12:42:46 am »
Why is it that you want to give more money to the government. Yea I think there are requirements for bees to be registered here but I'm not playing that game. I'm at a loss of words as to why it's any bodies business what I do on my own land and what I want to do. Today my bees tomorrow my guns. Or is this a part of the "CHANGE"? By the way I'm not liking the "CHANGE" part my self.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 07:06:42 am »
Why is it that you want to give more money to the government. Yea I think there are requirements for bees to be registered here but I'm not playing that game. I'm at a loss of words as to why it's any bodies business what I do on my own land and what I want to do. Today my bees tomorrow my guns. Or is this a part of the "CHANGE"? By the way I'm not liking the "CHANGE" part my self.

House bee, I am with you, 77 years ago I was born in a free country, went in the navy (voluntarily) to fight for it, but some where I have lost it, I sure as hell will not die in a free country. I have had trouble with zoneing, and building regulations, in a community where I built many a homes, with no permits, no inspectors (gestapo), and never a complaint from a person I built for. Never signed a contract because it was known that my word was my bond, and a handshake was all that was needed. In this day and age, I can understand (but do not sanction) a person walks into an office and starts shooting whoever he sees. All it takes is just a little bit of mental instability, and having to deal with the laws, and actions of the idiots running things today. And it will get worse, as we (the children of today) are a society that is being raised to expect every thing the world has to offer "NOW", without having to work, wait for, earn, or deserve it.
I am my own biggest critic!