Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long can I wait to release the queen  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
How long can I wait to release the queen
« on: January 22, 2015, 07:42:21 am »
I have been offered a queen with attendants that didn't quite make it back to the hive after an aborted swarm. ( I trust the beek so it should be good) I want to introduce her to a new Nuc yet to be put together but the weather has just turned very wet (why the swarm aborted)

How long can I keep her in a cage until the weather dries enough to open a hive and steal some broad and nurse bees etc to to put a Nuc together? They are forecasting up to a week of wet weather.
David L

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Re: How long can I wait to release the queen
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 08:54:38 am »
If your weather is warm enough, do it during a break in the rain.  You risk loosing her if you wait a week
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 09:38:35 am »
Give them one (not more, not less) drop of water per day and keep them in a quiet dark place.  You can keep them a week if you have to, assuming young attendants.  If the attendants start dying you need to put her in a hive or replace the attendants.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:50:26 am »
If you have an excluder on a hive, you can quickly open it and place her cage on the top frames. The bees will care for her if the queen of the hive cannot get up to her.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 07:52:44 am »
Thanks for the replies - I was gearing up to follow the suggestions when I checked the weather radar and saw a window of about an hour so quickly put together a nuc. Interesting the girls were very docile and didn't get upset in the least. Trouble was - no lava so the queen may have absconded - a couple of supersedure cells so left them to look after themselves and took what I could with some brood and hope for the best. The new queen is now safe and sound in the nuc.
David L

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 08:51:27 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX3BgnOkozs

This is a video from Michael Palmer - How to tell if a hive is queenless (probably could have named it how to tell if the bees are ready to accept a new queen - or not)
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 08:34:49 am »
Now that is real interesting !
David L