Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: No honey this year? What would you do?  (Read 5235 times)

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
Re: No honey this year? What would you do?
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 11:22:41 am »
Your friends advice is skewed IMO. Your taking their steak & eggs then replacing it with hamburger & potato chips.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 11:54:08 am »
T Beek - I know you are right. My gut feeling has always been that one should not be feeding bees sugar if there's any other alternative. But it has been such common practice that I accept it. If I can get my husband to suit up with me and do what you suggest, I will absolutely feel better about what I'm doing. Thanks for the wake-up call. I don't really care if I get honey or not this season - I'm not in it for commercial reasons. I will' of course, supplement them with syrup if I have to, but first I'll let them have their own honey.

Offline Glen H

• New Bee
    • My you Tube Chanel
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 11:59:38 am »
Your friends advice is skewed IMO. Your taking their steak & eggs then replacing it with hamburger & potato chips.

I agree with you on this one, leave the honey for the bees.
Had a similar experience, had a more experienced beekeeper come over in July and he gave me advice that went against my instinct and what my gut was saying. It turned out my gut was right and he was very wrong. I'm in the process of still correcting that one!! :(

Glen
Located in Zone 5b

anything