Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top bar comb guide preferences  (Read 1722 times)

Offline YelveMaster

• New Bee
Top bar comb guide preferences
« on: June 17, 2011, 09:02:57 pm »
I've seen videos and posts on Beemaster suggesting that you build your top bar comb guides with popsicle sticks, inverted molding, waxed cotton string and waxed milk carton strips.  Do folks out there have other designs? 

But more to the point, do you have a favorite design and why?

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
Re: Top bar comb guide preferences
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 11:25:41 pm »
This is from the advanced class...

These are beeswax strips I made from wax I rendered from a hive that died last year.  I'm WACKY, KerAYZEE happy about this, but they still have a tendency to build they way "they" want.  If it's too goofy I cut out the hard part and straighten the rest.  I know I have it in frames, but they're on the top bars.

Of course you don't have to do any of this stuff, it gives the bees a place to hang, and directs them to build in a straight line.  Also Michael Bush pointed out the last time I wrote anything about this that it gives a center.  I have some frames I've put in without any wax strips, between the drawn stuff, and haven't had time to experience the difference between "Wax on, Wax off."
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 04:35:44 am »
The wax works fine as long as it doesn't get hot and fall out.  But wood is more permanent.  A wood strip or a triangular piece work.  The triangle is my favorite.  The most important thing is that it sticks out at least 1/4" and preferably a bit more.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 06:13:06 pm »
I'm with MB.  The triangular wooden strip.  I've never yet had the bees really mess up the comb when using these, and unlike wax sheet or thread they don't have to be replaced.  Just convert your frames and you're set.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

anything