Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone used 2 frame nuc boxes before?  (Read 9049 times)

Offline Sir Stungalot

• House Bee
Anyone used 2 frame nuc boxes before?
« on: December 26, 2007, 10:18:36 am »
I am doing a massive expansion this year.  I invested a lot in 2 frame nuc boxes and am wondering if anyone has actually ever USED them. I know they will need to be managed more carefully than 5 framers but, for me, the issue  is to get the max. number of splits off of each hive. Any imput?  Thanks.....

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Anyone used 2 frame nuc boxes before?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 12:34:11 pm »
Modified
Wow, two framed nuc boxes! If I were to use them, which I wouldn't, I would imagine you would use them for a very small colony come winter, or for a colony that's queenless, whereby you are trying to have them make a queen. It just seems like a waste of time, and effort, no offense. I'm curious to see other feedback.

Sincerely, JP
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 09:21:33 pm by JP »
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Old Timer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 02:29:12 pm »
They are most commonly used for queen breeding nucs. I use four frame nucs. One frame of honey/pollen, one frame of open brood, one frame of sealed brood, and one frame with foundation. After the foundation is mostly drawn out I'll add a second box on top. When the top is mostly drawn out I'll put the nucs into a deep. I don't think you'll like a two frame nuc much. Shortly after your queen starts laying they will need more space so you might as well start out with something a little bigger.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 03:21:06 pm »
Disclaimer: I've never used them.  And probably won't except for my observation hive which is 2 frames....

However, if you already have the money into them... and want lots of splits, I suppose you could make 2 frame splits with queens or even queen cells, and when they are build up enough to go into a big box (medium or deep, whatever you use) then put them in there with drawn frames and honey and pollen frames that you've harvested from the other hives.  I don't think that they'd be in the 2-framers for very long, as Old Timer says.

And of course feed heavily.

-rick
Rick

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 10:01:21 pm »
>I am doing a massive expansion this year.  I invested a lot in 2 frame nuc boxes and am wondering if anyone has actually ever USED them.

Not for splits.  I use them exclusively for mating nucs:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnucs.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/AssortedWidths.JPG
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/TwoByFourMatingNucs.JPG
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/TwoByFourNuc2.jpg

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Sir Stungalot

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 01:43:21 pm »
I guess what I am actually using them for is a mating nuc (as Michael says). I do not want to put a couple frames of eggs/brood ect. into a full size box- to much space for them to have to defend ect.
Once it is full of bees (I hope pretty quick) and the new queen is laying, I figured there would be a better chance of them being able to hold their own.  Since I would only have to harvest a couple of frames per nuc box, each full size colony would yield more potential nucs.
These boxes only have a hole big enough for a single bee (MOL) to pass thru and again, would not be so likely to be ransacked by all my big colonies.  In addition to that, there is a slit to put the internal feeder (a boardman type but syrup  is located INSIDE the box) so I can feed non-stop to help get these small colonies going.  It just seemed a sensible thing to give a try. I am going to (hope) they are able to raise their own queen rather than have to purchase. I will begin this in Feb./March (in Texas brood rearing is going full tilt and this is the swarm season too). My first prime swarms usually issue about March 1st and I am trying to avoid this swarming by keeping the hives "thin" with these continual pulls of started queen cells ect.

anything