Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding Super  (Read 2174 times)

Offline GT

• New Bee
Adding Super
« on: May 24, 2006, 12:07:42 pm »
I had a thought - when adding a deep super (hive body), could I incent the bees to move up quicker by putting two full frames from the existing super (#1) into the new super (#2), and adding two empty frames to super #1? I've done this in the past when super #2 doesnt attract the bees, but was wondering if its worth trying right away. make sense?  Any obvious pitfalls?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Adding Super
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 10:40:19 pm »
If the hive is strong and bursting with bees baiting up works well.  If it's not, it may end up with some abandoned brood.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Adding Super
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 12:05:05 am »
Quote from: GT
...could I incent the bees to move up quicker by putting two full frames

Bees occupy the box if they are strong enough to do that. They warm up brood area and they do not leave it. Like Michael says, bees abandon brood in lower parts of hive if they are not able to keep them warm. They eat larvae away and tear open pupae.

If hive is not strong enough, I put extension box under brood area. They they it into use when they have enough bees.

When you have 2 boxes, it is same where bees put honey.  - Inside, I hope. 2 boxes is not yet real hive. It should have 2 boxes for brood and the rest honeyboxes.

Offline GT

• New Bee
Adding Super
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 12:07:52 am »
If hive is not strong enough, I put extension box under brood area. They they it into use when they have enough bees.

what is an extension box?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Adding Super
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 12:58:29 am »
>I had a thought - when adding a deep super (hive body), could I incent the bees to move up quicker by putting two full frames from the existing super (#1) into the new super (#2), and adding two empty frames to super #1? I've done this in the past when super #2 doesnt attract the bees, but was wondering if its worth trying right away. make sense? Any obvious pitfalls?

It'll work but I caution against moving brood frames up.  Usually in doing what you're suggesting it is best to take the number 2 and 9 frames up if w/o brood and the put the new frames in the 3 and 8 location moving the original 3 and 8 into the 2 and 9 locations.

Moving brood frames can endanger the whole hive.  My rule is bait with honey not babies.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Adding Super
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 01:33:37 am »
Quote from: GT
[
what is an extension box?

I do not know, but I mentioned to say "more room for bees" in general. It is sure that you cannot force bees to occupy more room as they naturally do.