Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Two weeks, still no brood  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Erich

• New Bee
Two weeks, still no brood
« on: April 30, 2007, 01:29:38 am »
I installed two packages two weeks ago and one of them has no brood. I didn't find the queen, eggs, larva or capped brood. The hive is located within a couple feet of an overwintered colony that is doing well. The bees in the packaged hive did not act cranky like I would expect in a queenless hive. They did have a queen cell ready. They were started on drawn comb with a frame of honey and an inline feeder.  Is two weeks a long enough wait to requeen? Well, it will be three weeks by the time I can get a new one.
                                                                                                     I would like to thank everyone on this forum. It takes newbies like me to ask these questions and all those whos experience and devotion makes it so interesting to learn. Thank You.    Erich

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Two weeks, still no brood
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:01:20 am »
They need a queen. yes it's okay to requeen.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Two weeks, still no brood
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 08:25:07 am »
>Is two weeks a long enough wait to requeen?

That's too long.  You have the other package, so give the queenless ones a frame with some eggs and let them rear a queen.  They will have an emerged queen in 12 days and be much happier doing it than being queenless.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything