Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are these?  (Read 3695 times)

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
Are these?
« on: October 01, 2008, 10:26:11 am »
Johnny Jumpups

I noticed my bees working these this morning.  Have you guys ever tried getting a picture of a bee on a flower when 1 they are a lot of flowers and 2 they don't have much nectar in them, I think I am going to buy me a camera with heat seeking on it  :-D

Offline greg spike

• House Bee
Re: Are these?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 11:30:11 am »
Yep. They're a little more purple around my house. Got tons of them in the spring, but never seen a bee on them.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 12:32:09 pm »
Johnny Jumpups

No, those are not Johnny Jump-ups, botanical name Viola tricolor, those are Asiatic Day Flowers, botanical name is Commelina communis.

I noticed my bees working these this morning.  Have you guys ever tried getting a picture of a bee on a flower when 1 they are a lot of flowers and 2 they don't have much nectar in them, I think I am going to buy me a camera with heat seeking on it  :-D
It's tough with many of today's digitals because there's a lag between hitting the button and the actual picture-taking.  The newer SLR types are supposed to not have that lag.  Drives me crazy, too.  I've learned to hold the button halfway down on my camera, it helps capture quick movers like our bees.

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 01:28:35 pm »
so is the common name that I understand Heartsease?  It really amazes me how these this and other plant are growing on my property I didn't plant them.  I guess the birds are helping.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 08:33:48 pm »
The other common name for Johnny Jump-ups (Viola tricolor) is Heart's ease.  As far as I know the Asiatic Day Flower, which is what you posted a picture of, has no other common name.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 12:22:08 am »
They look like little fairies amongst the leaves.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything