Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: dying bees  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Wis Bee

• New Bee
dying bees
« on: February 11, 2007, 10:32:24 pm »

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
Re: dying bees
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 11:07:25 pm »
Puzzling.  Interesting how the bees are aware of their illness and fly away to die, if that is the case...
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 12:56:38 am »
The mystery disease is refered to as Dwindle disease or Colony collapse disorder. We have several articles on it in the Reprint Article section and a very informative pdf in the Disease section. Please take a look at them.

Unfortunatly there are more questions than answers.

robert7355:
I read through the blog. I am not sure he has dwindle disease , he may have just had the bees abscond.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 09:22:41 am »
Oh yeah its bad news
kir-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 02:18:04 pm »
This is not good  :(

I have a few questions myself :
How do they know it is affecting feral colonies?
Does the CCD  affect migratory colonies (pollinators) more so than the stationary apiaries ?

I am beginning to wonder if traveling bees ( over long distances by humans ) pick up diseases not found in their local areas, therefore spreading the mutating germs to other areas.  :?

Offline wayne

• House Bee
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 05:24:11 pm »
This is not good  :(

I have a few questions myself :
How do they know it is affecting feral colonies?
Does the CCD  affect migratory colonies (pollinators) more so than the stationary apiaries ?

I am beginning to wonder if traveling bees ( over long distances by humans ) pick up diseases not found in their local areas, therefore spreading the mutating germs to other areas.  :?

The answer to your question about migratory bees is in the pdf.
There has been no studies preliminary or otherwise in reguards to feral bees.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 06:22:05 pm »
Very sad.  I took a weekend course here in NY at Cornell and several of my questions were unanswered regarding mite infestations, diseases and the effect of chemical treatments.  The instructor mention that some of these question would make for good Masters of Science research.  At first this surprised me,(how could I with little to no knowledge ask a question that has yet to be answered? :?) my book learnin' ;) is in physics and I guess the basics are well known.  Now the new and interesting stuff requires really, really big toys.  Beekeeping and dealing with critters is a very dynamic and ongoing field! Frustrating for those of us looking for answers, but exciting for someone inclined to research. :roll:

D

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 06:44:18 pm »
You have to work it out for your self sometimes.Go to the BeeSource.com web page and read the articles By Charles Martin Simon and you will have a few Ideas on what you cant do with your bees you will :mrgreen: :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D fill better
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything