Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A little protection after the end of Windows xp support  (Read 6273 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
A little protection after the end of Windows xp support
« on: April 05, 2014, 09:00:42 pm »
Most viruses and infections in computers are self inflicted by either clicking on links in emails or being fooled into going to websites that install a malicious code. Some is even unwittingly downloaded along with "free" software. To give yourself protection from a malicious attack, set up a password protected administrator account on your computer.Then ,for any web browsing or any connecting to the internet whatsoever, set up a standard user account. If software tries to install on your computer from that point on, windows will ask for your password for the administrator account. If you do not provide it,the software can not be installed without your consent.
Hint: this is all done in the control panel area named users and groups or users and family or something named to that effect.

Under no circumstance should you log onto the internet under an account with full admin rights,it is an open door to infection!!

PS use almost any browser but internet explorer as it has the most vulnerabilities. Also consider removing java as it is a security risk that will no longer be supported. The chrome browser has its own built in version of a flash player that will be constantly updated with the browser updates,so I would think it is a safer bet than IE.

Offline beesNme

• House Bee
Re: A little protection after the end of Windows xp support
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 09:23:44 am »
i ditched windows all together and now i run linux mint. 5 years so far and no problems

Offline TobyCordova

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 07:02:04 am »
In this matter, I feel myself quite safe and protected from viruses and online attacks, as I have installed Optimo AV software in my laptop. It is an efficient protection against any kinds of malware, spyware and Trojan viruses, this is what my experience said so far.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:29:19 pm »
for me I thinks

add a new C: drive. change the original to D: by swapping cables

prior to doing that down load and burn a an ISO disk with any of the free OS's reboot and install MINT or any other os  including windows7

Offline ChristianComputerHelp.org

• New Bee
    • Introduction and Directions About ChristianComputerHelp.org Computer Helpers Computer Experts and Customers Wanted Click Here
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 02:16:43 am »
i ditched windows all together and now i run linux mint. 5 years so far and no problems

I've been installing Ubuntu on my in home computer clients computers here in Honolulu Hawaii.

Good graphic user interface
Comes built in with FireFox
Libre Office

I also setup Onedrive or Google Drive for them so they can pretty much do anything they were doing before except faster and safer.

Rick

anything