Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beeyard weed control  (Read 8462 times)

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
Beeyard weed control
« on: March 14, 2005, 01:26:38 pm »
I am thinking about carpeting my main beeyard this month.  I've seen some great pictures of how carpet keeps the weeds down.  Any idea how long it might last before it becomes more of an eyesore than the weeds?
Also, what is the best material to use to keep your hives off the ground?  I use cinder blocks and milk crates but am considering building a rack out of treated wood.  Any thoughts?

P.S. sorry for all of the questions but I guess that's why there is a forum.  I just wish I could contribute somehow (just ask something about apple trees, I dare ya). :D
"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Beeyard weed control
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 05:15:03 pm »
Throw some landscaping cloth and then some wood chips down, you'll never have to worry about replacing when it gets ratty.

Cinder blocks are great and portable if you ever decide to move your hive location. Treated lumber is fine if you decide you've found your permanent home.
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Beeyard weed control
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 05:25:10 pm »
I used landscaping cloth, and it worked great. I'll put down chips this year to make it all even prettier. :)
Lesli

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Beeyard weed control
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 07:27:11 pm »
I am putting down garden cloth and wood chips and then are hives are going to be on custome built hive stands. bye :D
Ryan Horn

Anonymous

Beeyard weed control
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 11:02:07 am »
I know people who use carpet and it seems to last them a copule years depending on how dry or wet the years are. They always have some more throwen out they pick up to put down when it starts to look bad.
I use wood chips (Cypress) over the plastic vapor barrier and have my hives set on a home made stand built with land scaping timbers and treated 2'x6'x8'.

Summer

Winter

:D Al

Offline firetool

• House Bee
Beeyard weed control
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 11:05:35 am »
Here is anouther thought. How about using ducks and or geese to keep the weeds down. They would love it. I would just put some 2-3 foot high chicken wire around the grounds and this sould keep them in. the ducks are cheeper to buy. Chickens will do this some and they will eat other bugs to like grasshopers and ticks. I am not saying I know this next thing will work but they might even eat the mites that they can see. They have left my bees alone so far. I has worked out good so far for me.

I would like to know how to start some apple seeds though. I have some gala seeds that I got from some apples that we ate the other day. They are almost dried out now. Do i need to plant them in a seed  starter try where it is warm and moist. I have heard that apple treesa need to be grafted on. If I just plant these seeds I will still get Galas off the tree won't I? Why does evry body do the grafting any more. Don't laugfe to hard at this ,but you never heard of Jonny apple seed doing any grafting to his trees.

Take care,

Brian
P.S.- you could us e the poultry for your own benifets like eges and meat.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Beeyard weed control
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 11:06:32 am »
You mean 2"X 6" don't you?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Beeyard weed control
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 05:13:41 pm »
Quote from: firetool
I have heard that apple treesa need to be grafted on. If I just plant these seeds I will still get Galas off the tree won't I? Why does evry body do the grafting any more. Don't laugfe to hard at this ,but you never heard of Jonny apple seed doing any grafting to his trees.

Take care,

Brian

Yes you will get Gala apples many, many years from now. Jonny Appleseed (John Chapman born in Leominster, MA out by our own Leominsterbeeman) never saw the apples he sowed from seed. The reason for grafting is to get functioning orchards in our lifetime.
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline firetool

• House Bee
Beeyard weed control
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 05:33:53 pm »
What sould I do then. I would like to grow some apple trees. Could I plant the seed and graft on to it latter. Etheir way I would like to know the best way to start these seeds that I have here. I takeit that apple trees just grow very slow.

Brian

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Beeyard weed control
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 06:21:51 pm »
Trail twister was my insperation on how to design my area, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Beeyard weed control
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 07:36:32 pm »
Brian, Run out towards Ralls. There is an apple orchard past Idalou that sells trees.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
Beeyard weed control
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 04:00:04 pm »
You may simply plant your apple seeds and they will likely produce many apple trees for you.  However, the fruit will not be true.  This means that you will not be able to raise Gala apples off of seedlings from Gala apples.  The only way to reproduce the apple and assure yourself the same "type" of apple is through grafting.  Grafting a small piece of wood (known as scionwood) from a Gala tree to a known apple rootstock guarantees that all wood above the graft will yield the same fruit as the parent tree (Gala).  Anything that grows from below the graft will yield something entirely different and most likely be completely useless.  In this way, thousands of apple varieties have been kept around for hundreds of years.
By the way most seedlings will start to produce in 10 years or less.  If you use the right rootstock, a small piece (2 inches) of scionwood can begin to produce fruit in 3 years.
"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!

anything