Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any Mac Geeks Here?  (Read 6379 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Any Mac Geeks Here?
« on: February 04, 2008, 11:45:48 am »
I have had my iMac for around 5-6 years i think...When I went to upload photos from my digital, just like always...Image Capture was GONE..not there...zippo, nada...I cannot get photos off my camera now...

What in the world happened??? :?

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
Re: Any Mac Geeks Here?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 05:42:22 am »
Guilty as charged, though I am a bit rusty!

Are you using OSx (version 10 of the operating system), or version 9?
Perhaps the Image Capture program was in the dock (the part of the screen you click on to start a program), and it was inadvertently deleted. Its easy to do, just a matter of dragging it out of the Dock.

I suggest doing a search for the program. Hit Apple and "F" and type in image capture. That should find it. If it's not there, you'll need the original program CD to reinstall it.

Good luck,
John.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:12:59 am »
Thanks Koala...

I messed around with turning the computer off and on, and this and that, and then miraculously it appeared!  I think my mac is toying with me!!!!!
 :-*

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 05:30:59 pm »
Sharon, oooooheeeee, going to the dark side, be careful,  :roll: ;) :)  Have the best of this great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:12:44 pm »
Cindi after all these months of reading your wonderful and uplifting posts I thought you were faultless. And then I find out you don't like Macs! What a let down!  :-D  :-D
I'm glad you're back up and running DayValleyDahlias, that's good news.
My trusty Mac laptop runs my whole apiary. I have a database that tracks everything, and I'd be lost without it. I rarely go see the girls without my Mac under my arm!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 06:21:51 pm »
Koala John, ah ha!!!  Gotcha!!!  You think I was referring to the Mac when I spoke of the dark side, nope, ah ha, ah ha,  :-P ;) :)

For many years when I worked in Vancouver as a research typist (about 19 years ago) I used a Mac.  I loved the Mac and I loved windows!!!  I still think that Mac is the ultimate, but I don't have a Mac.  Don't ask me why, because I don't know.  But since the time that I did not want to work an hour's drive away, and continued with computer stuff in our home, we have had the "other computer".  Thank goodness it has windows (well, doesn't everything?  or am I that much out of the loop, hee, hee).  Mac opened up the most fantastic world of windows and man what a world.  So, yep, I do love the Mac, just have the "other breed".  Have the most wonderful day of this day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 06:53:11 pm »
Ah, that makes more sense to me Cindi, I misunderstood and should have known that someone with all your positive traits would at least be a  Mac user if not a current owner!
Don't get me wrong, I quite like Windows, the computer technical support people would go broke without them!  ;)
I've been using Macs for exactly 19 years. They were pretty primitive back then weren't they? It's amazing when you think how far they'e come in that time isn't it?
Best regards,
Koala John.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 07:09:23 pm »
Koala John,  :) :)  those were called dinosaurs, actually, have a great and wonderful day, Cindi

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 07:14:24 pm »
My first computer was a 6100 Poermac with a whopping 16 meg of ram ,a 300 meg hard drive and an extra 350 meg drive for all the computer I would ever need.
For what that set me back at the time I could buy I more than 4 windows machines with flat screens now!!
Not to mention the major upgrade from 14,400 to 28k modem. We're talking fast heh?

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 07:22:00 pm »
Yes they were big dollars then Buzzbee, and even bigger when you factor in inflation over all those years.
19 years ago a typical Mac used for business (at least in Australia) had either 128 or 512KB or RAM! Most had just 400K floppy drives, though some of the higher end (and hideously expensive) systems had an external 10MB hard drive. Wow.
I'm feeling like a dinosaur now just thinking back that far!
I have one or two of them I keep for sentimental reasons, just like a fossil collector would!

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 07:12:12 pm »
DayValley

If you are on a mac then why aren't you using iPhoto for managing photos???

It's head and shoulders above any other prg I've tried

cheers

p

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 07:45:24 pm »
So odd, iPhoto is gonegonegone?????  Gremlins I tell you...must be gremlins...Oh and Image Capture is back again, I don't know how I found it or got it to appear...hhhmmmm

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 08:08:25 pm »
Peter...

Easy for you to say.... :-*

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 12:12:25 pm »
No kidding.......

Couldn't even get a link up properly

Anywho, at the very least download this and install it http://applejack.sourceforge.net/

Then restart computer keeping the 's' key pressed till get black screen w/writing.

Then type

applejack auto restart

hit return key

and it will do everything on it's own and restart ready to use, clean and fresh as a daisy.

cheers

peter