Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cold weather installation...  (Read 1344 times)

Offline patriotgirlie

• New Bee
Cold weather installation...
« on: April 11, 2013, 09:19:16 pm »
Hi friends!  I am officially a bee keeper.  I installed my first package yesterday!  It went smoothly, but I didn't like to do it in upper 40 degree weather.  However, yesterday was the nicest of the upcoming six or seven.  Now I'm just concerned that it's so stinkin' cold!  Is there anything I can do to help my ladies out?  I have a hive top feeder full of sugar water.  I put a little lemongrass oil inside the hive body before installation...anything else?  I don't want them to freeze.  Temps aren't going to be below freezing, but can I do anything?

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: Cold weather installation...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:30:00 pm »
a pollen patty might help with a brand new hive. I don't think it was a good idea to put lemongrass oil in. Lemongrass is used to attract bees, not to keep them from leaving.
Keep them well fed and it should be alright.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 09:45:42 pm »
I myself have had a bad situation when adding to much lemongrass oil. Drove them right out of the box. I spray a light coating of sugar syrup on plastic foundation before installing.
They won't take the syrup in the feeder until it reaches about 55F. Hasn't got that warm this week.
I have some old furniture blankets that I use to make me feel better, doubt it helps the bees.
I would make sure there are no serious drafts on them and a screened bottom is closed.
I would also want the smallest entrance notch to retain some heat.
Pray for some 60F weather that we're all ready for.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 10:39:47 pm »

Offline patriotgirlie

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 12:00:19 am »
I do have a pollen patty on top of the frames.  As for the lemon grass oil I just put my thumb over the open top, flipped it over once and rubbed some along the back wall of the deep box before I put the frames in.  Entrance reducer is at the smallest opening, and I put a piece of plywood under the screened bottom board to keep out the drafts.  I know the Good Lord will give us warm weather when it's time, I just want my girls to hang in until then!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 12:40:11 am »
I think next week will be better for us here.

anything