Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeding in spring  (Read 2758 times)

Offline colbees

• House Bee
feeding in spring
« on: November 22, 2012, 05:13:50 pm »
Can you feed bees only protien pattys or should you also feed sugar water.
A swarm of bees in May is worth a load of hay; A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon; A swarm of bees in July isn't worth a fly.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: feeding in spring
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 05:32:49 pm »
You must have basic store of sugar in the hive. Feeding sugar in spring does not help the hive. Brood cycle is a long process, 3 weeks.
Sugar only fills valuable brood space.

Proteing feeding helps to ensure that colony has no lack on pollen/protein  during  bad weeks.

I start protein feeding when half of snow has smelted. Then bees get drinking  water from ground.

When I start, it is 3 weeks to willow blooming. New bees get then fresh willow pollen and they will be good feeder bees.

.my aim is to get colonies capable to forage early summer's yield.

Feeding helps big hives but not much small ones, like 5 frame nucs.
Smallest colonies become sick from feeding (chalk brood).
Perhaps opening the cover makes larvae too cold.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 02:13:31 pm »
I find both to be a waste.  If there is natural pollen available they will ignore the pollen substitute.  If there is not, then you fool them into brooding when they probably shouldn't be.  If you try to feed syrup when it's cold they can't take it.  If you get a warm spell and they do and they brood up too early they get caught on the brood and starve.  I find it's much better to let them stay in synch with their climate and their flows than it is to fool them into doing what their instincts correctly tell them not to do...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#stimulativefeeding
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 02:28:35 pm »
Mike is right on.  If you are not heading south and going to vigorously feed bees both pollen and syrup to get them ready for almond pollination then dont waste your time or money.  Check to make sure they have adequate feed in mid to late March when temps get into the 40s and you will be fine.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 04:51:44 pm »
I find both to be a waste. 

If there is natural pollen available they will ignore the pollen substitute. 

I have developed so good substitute from soya-pollen-yeast thay bees continue substiutute eating up to apple blooming. Then they get so good variety of pollen that they need not patty. Weather are so good too that out temp does not hinder pollen gathering.

If you try to feed syrup when it's cold they can't take it.  If you get a warm spell and they do and they brood up too early they get caught on the brood and starve.  I find it's much better to let them stay in synch with their climate and their flows than it is to fool them into doing what their instincts correctly tell them not to do...

Syrup feeding does not add brood rearing in Spring. The limiting factors are the number of nurzser bees and cluster size.
Suga feeding only fills combs.

Beehive must allways have two full frames of honey or sugar surup. It is 5 kg food.

If there is more food frames, I take them off. So queen has space to lay.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 08:45:26 am »
In Spring I've open fed pollen sub for several years now just as soon as I notice the willows budding out.  Some years the bees are all over it and some years they ignore it.  I don't have need to check for stores as I use MB's dry sugar method which pretty much assures plenty of sugar stores if honey stores run low.   I use pollen sub (and dry sugar) as insurance only, and is why I only OPEN feed it.

I 'suspect' that during the times the pollen sub is ignored also coincides with the times SKUNK CABBAGE is plentiful as it will bloom well before our willows, even in the snow, actually melting an area around it. 

My bees always find it and LOVE it, stink and all  8-)
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 05:09:38 pm »
Hmmm, now that’s another interesting idea; open feeding pollen sub.  I hadn’t thought of that.  I might just give that a try this spring.  Thanks T Beek.  I’ve been wanting to experiment with some Whey as a pollen sub and open feeding may really give me a better chance of observing if the bees go for it or not. 

In my area, there seems to be plenty of pollen sources just as soon as the bees can fly so I don’t bother to feed pollen or syrup in the spring.  However if you have a hive that is short on pollen for whatever reason, it won’t start building up in the spring, until it gets pollen. 

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 06:01:39 pm »
I'm pretty sure I got the idea from BjornBee's website.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 06:37:44 pm »
I have placed pollen sub in an empty hive body in the sun. Early spring they will tear into it on fly days. I have had them ignore this at times too.It is really surprising how early they find pollen when there is weather to fly.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 05:14:14 am »
I just place a plate out near the beeyard.  It doesn't take long for it to be covered by bees.

And "that's entertainment  :)