Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Aspiring Beek - Southeast Louisiana  (Read 4238 times)

Moots

Aspiring Beek - Southeast Louisiana
« on: December 30, 2012, 09:00:46 pm »
Hello all,
Got the idea of being a beekeeper by chance about mid-Novemeber, saw some photos on a friend of a friends facebook page which planted the seed.  My first thought was that it seemed like it would be interesting, started doing some research online and have been, according to my wife, "all bees, all the time" since, LOL!

Spring can't get here quick enough...I've decided to start with 3 hives, all medium, 8 frame.  I have my boxes built and painted, as well as frames, foundation, and other equipment ordered.

The current plan is to start one with a captured swarm, one with a package, and one from a Nuc....Have a local Beek lined up to supply the swarm and can get packages through the local club.  Finding a medium Nuc supplier nearby has been the sticking point.  Worse case scenario, I'll go with 2 packages but haven't given up on the Nuc quite yet.

Did I mention I can't wait for spring????  :)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Aspiring Beek - Southeast Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:10:53 pm »
Buyer beware, bees are addictive.  Once you buy into the drug, you are hooked.   :-D  I have bees all around me now and I can't wait until spring either.  Welcome to the forum.

Moots

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 09:21:23 pm »
Allen,
Thanks for the welcome, I'm afraid I know what you mean....don't have "hive 1" yet, but already thinking of how to handle expanding beyond my planned three. 
Walking in Cabela's last night to grab a birthday present for my nephew and pointed out the utility trailers in the parking lot to my wife....Told her "somewhat jokingly" that we were going to need one of those to haul the Kabota between all our different bee yards whenever we expand.....LOL!

Of course my immediate goal is to start with 3 hives and manage to keep them alive!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:43:36 pm »
Welcome aboard Moots, it won't be long now.

Offline Lazer128

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 10:13:08 pm »
Welcome!  I know I am hooked!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 02:03:49 pm »
Yeap, she just thinks you are thinking bees all the time now, wait until you have them.  Can't wait to get back to building more boxs for spring.  Good luck to you and your new addiction.

Joe

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:32:11 am »
Welcome Moots!
I am in Reserve just southwest of ya and been a beek just over a year and did quite a number of removals so far. Lost a bunch during Issac but have rebounded somewhat. Would like to know of the local club beings none here. Shoot me a message and maybe I can help a little. I enjoy the bees and the honey it brings!  :-D
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 01:12:23 pm »
I'm afraid I know what you mean....don't have "hive 1" yet, but already thinking of how to handle expanding beyond my planned three.Walking in Cabela's last night to grab a birthday present for my nephew and pointed out the utility trailers in the parking lot to my wife....Told her "somewhat jokingly" that we were going to need one of those to haul the Kabota between all our different bee yards whenever we expand.....LOL!

:-D hahaaha  :-D

:-D It´s great fun when you can almost motivate any frivolous purchase back to beekeeping  :-D

mvh edward  :-P

Offline bsmit24

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 06:09:31 pm »
Been thinking about it for the past few months and think I will give it a try in the spring also, good to see that a few other southeast Louisiana residents are on the forum also.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 08:57:06 pm »
Welcome. So you getting your bees from that ole bailey? :-D
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline bsmit24

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 01:59:07 pm »
Welcome. So you getting your bees from that ole bailey? :-D

What do you have?

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 06:38:35 pm »
We make 5 frame med nucs. 
I thought the fella that started the thread was someone that I had spoken with and had taken an order from.  His plan sounded like the one a client of mine had.
Was trying to get a grin out of him.
But I think I may have been in error. 
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Moots

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 11:46:17 pm »
Bailey,
As I'm sure you realize by now...No, you were right, it's me!  Just hadn't seen all the replies to this thread till tonight.  Thanks for the reply to my PM from earlier this evening. Based on what you told me, I'm thinking/hoping Saturday may be a good day for the swap over.

Moots

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 11:53:23 pm »
Been thinking about it for the past few months and think I will give it a try in the spring also, good to see that a few other southeast Louisiana residents are on the forum also.

Bsmit24-
Cool....Where exactly are you?  If you're interested in starting with a Nuc, I can highly recommend a supplier!  :)

Offline bsmit24

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 04:49:15 pm »
I am in South Baton Rouge. Trying to decide if I am going to go with a conventional langstroth or a top bar hive but am open to all suggestions.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 09:15:17 pm »
Every friend of mine who tried top bars gave up on them. 
Other than that I don't know. 
I decided to learn from their experience and avoided them
Bailey