Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Uncapper  (Read 13180 times)

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
Uncapper
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:17:39 pm »
Has anyone ever used the sideliner uncappper. I just watched a video as it was being used. Seemed like it worked great. TThe price is a little hefty too. Any opinions?

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Uncapper
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:41:29 pm »
  heres a tip-COWEN is going to put a uncapper  on the market similar to there handy man uncapper-but the new one-you dont crank it-and the price is at $1900 -comes out in may -if you are going to spend money in that ballpark buy something
that you can grow with-as far as the uncapper you ask about -i know a guy that has one and he says it is ok-of course after spending the money for it and paying freight-(only ships freight) he is not about to admit that it is just a toy-you can Email cowen or call them-and talk about what the new unit is all about -if you need a link let me know  8-) RDY-B

http://www.cowenmfg.com/

;) RDY-B
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:41:00 pm by rdy-b »

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 10:22:15 pm »
Thanks RDY-B , if you don't mind, I could use the link.

Thanks again

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 06:59:12 am »
Have look at chain uncapper ???

http://www.maxantindustries.com/uncapping.html

Maxant Combo Unit  

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline ONTARIO BEEKEEPER

• House Bee
    • Dancing Bee Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 11:10:55 am »
I have the Maxant chain un-capper.  It works well, but can be a little rough on new drawn comb. I'm still looking for a spinner to put under it, but can't find anything used in Ontario.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 05:35:10 pm »
yes the Maxant is a good unit mine sets ontop of the cappings spinner and feeds a sixty frame radial-the only thing about the Maxant is after i got it -i had to switch all my supper  frames from plastic to wood -the plastic frames Bow and dont allow for even cuts on both sides -the back side was cleaned of down to foundation-so it took several thousands of dollars of new wood frames to get the system at optimum performance-these are things people need to know -your system needs to be compatible every piece of equipment you buy has direct effect on your whole operation-RDY-B

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 07:19:52 pm »
yes the Maxant is a good unit mine sets ontop of the cappings spinner and feeds a sixty frame radial-the only thing about the Maxant is after i got it -i had to switch all my supper  frames from plastic to wood -the plastic frames Bow and dont allow for even cuts on both sides -the back side was cleaned of down to foundation-so it took several thousands of dollars of new wood frames to get the system at optimum performance-these are things people need to know -your system needs to be compatible every piece of equipment you buy has direct effect on your whole operation-RDY-B

does your uncapper reels adjust
?

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 09:03:31 pm »
 there is a small amount of adjustment where the bearing bolts to the unit --there is a slot in the
bearing pillow block (may be 1/4 inch)--it is not like the after market pillow block adjustment--a little adjustment goes a long way
 because there are two shafts that turn the reals-you dont have to make the adjustment just on one side-
the big deal for me was changing over to all wood frames-the plastic frames bow and flex and are not appropriate
for this machine-they will tell you theres a way to tweak the frame slides -wood frames clear the problem- I can answer
any question you have about this machine but in my opinion it needs to sit on a spiner-RDY-B

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 09:14:04 pm »
Remember this machine was built long before a lot of plastic was used in beehives. All the commercial beekeepers that I know prefer use wooden frames and plastic foundation.  

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 09:21:48 pm »
Remember this machine was built long before a lot of plastic was used in beehives. All the commercial beekeepers that I know prefer use wooden frames and plastic foundation.  

Maxant's stuff is built for the commercial sideliner when it comes to the chain uncapper.  As Jim has mentioned and I can second his comment here nobody in that ball park from 500 to 1000 or more hives runs plastic frames because they do bow and such. 
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 09:27:20 pm »

IMHO No automatic uncapping system will work on bowed frames.

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 02:34:56 am »
yes the Maxine is a good unit mine sets ontop of the cappings spinner and feeds a sixty frame radial-the only thing about the Maxine is after i got it -i had to switch all my supper  frames from plastic to wood -the plastic frames Bow and dont allow for even cuts on both sides -the back side was cleaned of down to foundation-so it took several thousands of dollars of new wood frames to get the system at optimum performance-these are things people need to know -your system needs to be compatible every piece of equipment you buy has direct effect on your whole operation-RDY-B

IMHO No automatic uncapping system will work on bowed frames.

quite right you are but the point Im making is ---the frames are bowing under the force of the revolving chains -they are straight when they go in and come out but when the reals(both front and back) are turning
they bow the weak plastic frame-the high side of the bow gets uncapped almost down to the foundation-lot of honey going in with your capings-and your comb is tore up --not a win win- :)
Hankdog-dont be to sure about what keepers are running they are a thrifty lot- ;)-but the comment about the age of the design is spot on-and i often think about the wax foundation that was so popular and time consuming-but on the other side of the coin there are keepers that tell me of great success with foundationlees comb in a power uncapper and spinner
 8-) RDY-B
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 02:48:15 am by rdy-b »

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 09:53:52 pm »
rdy-b .............

You do realize a professional (you fill in the blank) mechanic will pay $20.00 for a screwdriver. will you buy a $20.00 screwdriver? There are reasons why professional beekeepers do what they do in terms of buying equipment.  Remember when you go to sell out will it be easier to sell standardized equipment. 

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 11:17:06 pm »
rdy-b .............

You do realize a professional (you fill in the blank) mechanic will pay $20.00 for a screwdriver. will you buy a $20.00 screwdriver? There are reasons why professional beekeepers do what they do in terms of buying equipment.  Remember when you go to sell out will it be easier to sell standardized equipment. 

so it is a money thing ---I have heard about that--- ;)  :lol: RDY-B

Offline Jackam

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 12:44:05 am »
so it is a money thing ---I have heard about that--- ;) 
That - and cat juggling!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 07:00:51 am »
rdy-b .............

You do realize a professional (you fill in the blank) mechanic will pay $20.00 for a screwdriver. will you buy a $20.00 screwdriver? There are reasons why professional beekeepers do what they do in terms of buying equipment.  Remember when you go to sell out will it be easier to sell standardized equipment.  

so it is a money thing ---I have heard about that--- ;)  :lol: RDY-B

More like performance/quality thing if it doesn't work what good is it ???  It costs you money and time  not to have the improper tools and you usually break a lot of stuff by not using the proper equipment.  IMHO  when I retired I had a lot easier time selling my mechanic tools that were the proper ones that knockoffs to other professionals.

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 02:35:26 pm »
 your putting to much stock into the commercial beekeeper-there are a huge amount that under preform
 and cut every corner they can-when outfits go under equipment is sold at a huge loss-not everyone can buy
 new-most prefer to buy second hand at half price-commercial beekeeping consist of a fast buck mentality
always trying to catch back up or get out when its good-equipment is moved a round like a board game
who will be the next big winner-step right up it could be you - 8-)  there is plenty to go around-manufactures
realize this and gear towards the constant incoming tide of hobbyists which pay a premium for the adventure
 8-) RDY-B

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 07:22:59 pm »

Hankdog-dont be to sure about what keepers are running they are a thrifty lot- ;)-but the comment about the age of the design is spot on-and i often think about the wax foundation that was so popular and time consuming-but on the other side of the coin there are keepers that tell me of great success with foundationlees comb in a power uncapper and spinner
 8-) RDY-B
[/quote]

Well when you know a few beekeepers that are commercial and they run wooden frames with plastic foundation.  Not to mention that I visited a place that does extraction for commercial beekeepers last week and didn't see a box one that had a plastic frame in it.  I can make the assumption that most of them don't do it.  As for beekeepers being thrifty there is a point where thrifty puts you in the hole with labor.  Also when bought in bulk wooden frames and plastic run about the same even with labor factored in with the assembling of the wood frames.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 09:23:32 pm »
plenty plastic out there-frames for suppers under a buck--they just dont work in that perticular machine -the manufactor will tell you they will-dont bet the farm--- ;) RDY-B

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 10:54:22 am »
plenty plastic out there-frames for suppers under a buck--they just dont work in that perticular machine -the manufactor will tell you they will-dont bet the farm--- ;) RDY-B
You do realize this is not the only machine that does not like plastic frame because of the way they can ben and flex.
Did you call Maxaut and ask ???

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy