Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey harvest 2011  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Honey harvest 2011
« on: September 07, 2011, 10:48:33 pm »
Well I took all the supers off of the hives, 5 hives, four supers. I only got 17 quarts this year, which is 17 less than last year and I have 3 more hives than last year. It was a very dry spring and summer so I guess Im happy that I got any at all. I guess there is just less to give away. Here are some phots of the process.

The two jars to the right are from last year. I think that is what Ill give away.  :-D

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Honey harvest 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:25:59 am »
Alot darker than mine. Whats the source? I think the dark honeys have a better, more intense flavor.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 01:11:03 pm »
That's interesting, your honey from last year was light and this year it is dark. Were they both pulled at the same time?
Last year I pulled in July and the honey was very dark, I pulled again in October and it and the honey that I left on the hives for the winter (I pulled it in March) was light. This year I have pulled the honey and all of it is light. I had the hives in the same places at the same times (Spring on gall berry, palmetto and popcorn tree and in town the rest of the year, a mix of suburban trees) with totally different results.
Is anyone else seeing the same thing?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:02:48 pm »
Great pics

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 11:16:09 pm »
The dark capped honey on the frames came from the two hives at my house, inside city limits. The photo with the white capped is from an alfalfa field. last year honey and this year honey pulled around same time so Im note sure where they went this year. I have not yet tried it but have already given bottles away. I did notice a difference last year, it went from dark to light but Im not sure the source since the hives are in the city. I can tell you I got more honey from the hives at home than the hives on the alfalfa field  :?

anything