Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Might try some Carnolians this spring? What do ya think  (Read 2290 times)

Offline harvey

• House Bee
Might try some Carnolians this spring? What do ya think
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:51:15 pm »
Here in michigan where I am at probably only six good months for the bees and six bad due to snow and cold.  I went into winter with seven hives.  All of these were from swarms that I have caught last year back in the woods.  Ended up finding three bee trees!!  One in a bass tree blew down in a storm and one maple that split and came down in another storm.  Still have one good maple standing that is full of bees.  This tree is miles from any other hive that I know of.  Anyway.  So far looks like all seven hives are still making it.  I know it is real early and was thinking of buying a couple three pound packages of Carnolians?  Never hadem and don't know anything aboutem.   What do yall think in regards to Carnolians and northern cold weather?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Might try some Carnolians this spring? What do ya think
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:14:50 pm »
I decided to try some Carniolan’s last summer.  I did 3 small splits in August using Queens from Ebert’s in Iowa (Northern breed).  Like you say, winter is still young here in Michigan, but my little splits are still doing fine.  They have been docile so far.  I was happy with the quality and price from Ebert’s.  Not enough time yet for me to report how they will compare with the Italians.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:58:38 pm »
I've got a Carniolan X Italian hive here in southern australia and it far out shines all of my other hives for temperament, spring build up, productivity - give it a shot! you've got nothing to lose!

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:17:19 pm »
The carnolian bee is a more gentle bee and it shuts down in winter and builds up fast in the spring. They are a better northern bee being they generally over winter with less bees and forage in cooler weather.  Then italian is a great bee as well just seems to be more adapted to the warmer climate. The italians are good pollinaters honey makers and make lots of bees.  I have carnies and they seem to do better up here in Pa from what i have read and seen in observation.  Everyone has their opinion about different breeds of bees but their really isnt a pure breed bee. A cross between and italian and a carnolian would be nice possibly but what you are really looking for are hygenic bees that winter well and produce lots of bees in spring and make lots of honey :)

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 11:19:34 pm »
Well I will have enough boxes so I am thinking I will order two 3lb packages of Carnoilan's for this spring.  If they want to mix up with my ferrel bees then we will see what I end up with?   I also plan on catching or luring more wild swarms this year.   Just so I don't get out of hand and get to many hives for my little hobby!!!   Wouldn't want that huh?

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:27:28 pm »
I like them. They are one of the better strains for the north.

http://www.nsqba.org/typesofhoneybees.html

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 12:35:37 am »
sounds like a good plan, along with doubling your wooden ware. may as well be prepared

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 05:40:38 am »
I live at the level 60 latitude like Anchorage Alaska.

I prefer Italians. Italians and Carniolans are kept here boath on Polar Circle.

It means much what are surrounding bees on your are and where virgins mate.  When original selected genes are polished away, bees may be what ever. They become swarmy.
The first crossing generation may show a good hybrid vigour.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 09:05:04 am »
Agreed, get ready for your expansion ;) and from what I've read, they are a good all around bee particularly suited for northern climes, been thinking of adding some to my yard as well.

thomas
sounds like a good plan, along with doubling your wooden ware. may as well be prepared
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

anything