Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First attempt was disappointing!  (Read 2916 times)

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
First attempt was disappointing!
« on: July 18, 2011, 04:38:07 pm »
Well my first attempt at queen rearing was disappointing. I had lots of issues though. I used the Nicot System.. First, It took the queen two days to finally lay eggs in the cell cups. Second, the cardboard Nucs sold at Brushy Mountain do not have enough ventilation to become cell builders. Within 12 hours frames of honey were melting and the comb was falling out of the frames. Needless to say, there went half of those bees. The other Nuc produced so much condensation that the bees were nearly drowning. I changed plans halfway through and decided to go the Cloake Board route. I just dumped my cell builder Nucs in a hive body above my Cloake board. I transferred the cell cups to the cell bar with no problems. However, the larva was really small and only had a small amount of Royal Jelly in the cups. I fed them throughout the first few days as well. I was hoping for 75% to 80% rear rate. I placed 40 cups in the hive. Instead I got more like 10% to 15% with only 4 of the 40 cell cups producing queens. The few other queen cells are on frames. Pretty disappointing. So next time I will not be using the cell builder method and will go strictly with the Cloake board method. I may also give the larva some extra time to grow as well. I transferred at 3.5 days. Next time I will wait for 4 days and make sure they have enough Royal Jelly. Other than that I do not know what else to do!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: First attempt was disappointing!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 05:06:45 pm »
pm hardwood or allen (don't remember his board name).  both do a lot of queen rearing and will be able to give you some pointers.  there are others who i'm sure will chime in with some suggestions.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 09:18:27 pm »

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:30:50 pm »
alan.  yes.  one L and and A   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 04:42:50 am »
A swarm box should have a large screened area either a complete screened bottom and something to hold it off the ground or a screened area around the bottom few inches of the box:

Jay Smith:
QRS:
http://bushfarms.com/Beehives/QRSSwarmBox.JPG
Better Queens:
http://bushfarms.com/images/BQPg46.jpg
http://bushfarms.com/beesbetterqueens.htm#The%20Starter%20Hive
Alley:
http://bushfarms.com/beesalleymethod.htm#swarming_box

I believe all of these have screened bottoms and several have screened tops.  You also need extra room at the bottom and a sponge soaked in water for a water source or as Smith did it, spray a lot of water onto some combs of nectar and give them that.  They will consume a lot of water.

As far as acceptance the first couple of times you have the plastic issue.  Once it's been in the hive a while (which you could do without trying to rear queens) it will get propolized and smell ok to them.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin