Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where would you like to be stung?  (Read 6869 times)

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Where would you like to be stung?
« on: August 27, 2010, 01:33:15 am »
When I was stung on one occasion in May, I had a strange reaction and was unable to talk for a couple of minutes.  I became suspicious that maybe I was hyper allergic to bee venom, and now I have been tested..... and yes I am strongly allergic.  So for the next 6 months I will be getting shots to desensitize my immune system.  After I've been through the course, I can continue with shots every month to 6 weeks.... OR.... I can just manage to get myself stung by a bee volunteer once a month.  So the question is, if you had to be stung on a regular basis, where would you choose to get popped?  Where would it hurt the least and do the least damage?  This means once a month for life.

And yes, I know to some of you who get multiple stings every day, this seems like a minor issue, but I don't really like getting popped and would like to have the least pain and swelling.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Where would you like to be stung?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 03:10:11 am »
Well, I stung my right index finger deliberately three times the other day (last Saturday) because the joint had been stiff and aching for ten days straight.

It is fine now and the second I was stung I had relief in the joint, but it required three stings to make it right.

If you have any stiffness in your joints, hands or feet, start there. If not perhaps the knee is a good spot.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 03:13:12 am »
In the muscle, outside of the upper arm, below the shoulder, same place doctors gave shots sometimes when I was a kid. Stings will bother you least there, I think.

Offline n5odj

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 07:32:42 am »
I feel the least discomfort (swelling, pain, itching) when I get stung on large muscle groups, like the thigh.  I feel it the most when they get my face or hands.

Robert in the hills of Tennessee

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:58:03 am »
Well, I stung my right index finger deliberately three times the other day (last Saturday) because the joint had been stiff and aching for ten days straight.

It is fine now and the second I was stung I had relief in the joint, but it required three stings to make it right.

If you have any stiffness in your joints, hands or feet, start there. If not perhaps the knee is a good spot.

...JP
I do have arthritis in one finger.... I jammed it playing basketball when I was a kid.   I have noticed that when I get stung on a finger it does not swell much, although it hasn't happened enough times to reach a conclusion.  Sure does hurt there though.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 09:29:44 am »
I don't know what it's called, but give a thumbs up motion. Then touch the bottom of that hand. After working my hives, I have found stingers there. I hadn't even realized I had been stung.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 09:38:31 am »
I don't know what it's called, but give a thumbs up motion. Then touch the bottom of that hand. After working my hives, I have found stingers there. I hadn't even realized I had been stung.
Iddee, are you saying the edge of the palm below the little finger?  The part of the hand you would use in a karate chop?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 10:04:37 am »
Yes. Halfway between the little finger and the wrist.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 10:13:54 am »
Thanks.  I'll try that.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 10:38:51 am »
JP
 Said he took a few in the Finger for joint pain
I will do the same soon I have read the bee sting is one of
the best for Joint relief So too your question If you have any
Pain Knuckles Knees and .....??
I would start there If not as Iddee said the Fat Part of the
Hand would likely not sting very much
This may Eek a few but I've had shots in the Gut and they don't
Hurt but the thought will put shivers up your spine
Good Luck with the treatment hope it works well

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 12:23:33 pm »
I was recently stung in the web between my thumb and forefinger, and while it didn't particularly hurt, my hand later swelled up like a baseball glove--couldn't close it, couldn't get my watch off, etc. Had to take some steroids.
I'd also heard that it wasn't good to get stung anywhere from about the heart up.  My Dr. son said to be particularly careful if I get stung on the neck as it could swell and close off my windpipe.
The most painful place I have ever been stung is on the tip of my nose.  OMG. 
linda d

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 12:58:40 pm »
The most painful place I have ever been stung is on the tip of my nose.  OMG. 

The ears suck. Apparently your ear cant swell, or at least mine didnt but sure as heck wanted to. Felt like my ear was trying to bust off the side of my head

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 01:52:23 pm »
I can only think of one place I would want to get stung because of the swelling and taking care of the itch afterward, but we don't need to go into that now.   How about the back of the hand?  Easy to look after and swelling should not be a problem.  I tend to get stung on the back of the knee when working the bees.   They would be on leg and the shorts would rub them. 

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 02:19:22 pm »
My hip, which has been bothering me all spring and summer, but I Have No Bees Right Now!!   :oops:
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 03:24:59 pm »
What???!!!  It's off-topic but why do you not have bees now?

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 04:15:40 pm »
I think the problem here is everyone is different.  I find getting stung on the backs of my fingers and on my knuckles are the ones that bother me the least.  When I got stung on the calf it swelled and itched and drove me nuts.  I do ditto that ears and noses are awful.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 04:31:22 pm »
What???!!!  It's off-topic but why do you not have bees now?
Bears. Blah.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline WVaBees

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 05:14:53 pm »
If I had to choose I would probably go with the top of my forearm. Or on my shin...seems I am always finding cuts and scrapes and flowing blood from my shins and never even knew I injured myself. I doubt a bee sting would cause much reaction there.

Offline brer

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 11:12:40 pm »
Not trying to change the topic totally,,,,

I was working and got stung by a wasp on the hand.  yeah, the first day is annoying and all, but I had relief from arthritis. Is bee venom the same as Wasp venom?

Me, If I had to take a controlled sting, as posted before, I would take it in a large muscle group, for me it would be a right shoulder.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 11:30:57 pm »
hardwood can tell ya where not to get stung    YIKES