Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splitting a single two-colony TBH into two separate hives in situ  (Read 2753 times)

Offline ugcheleuce

• House Bee
Hello everyone

I'm about to place a single TBH in a field and I'm considering putting two colonies in it (one on each end, with follower boards to keep them separate).  However, it may happen later that the colonies grow so large that I would need to move one of them into a separate hive.  My question is whether you think it would "work" if I do this by turning the original hive by 20-30 degrees while keeping the one flight opening in the original position, and then placing a second hive alongside it so that its flight opening is in the same position as the original second opening of the first hive.

Here's an image to illustrate:

Your thoughts?

Samuel
--
Samuel Murray, Apeldoorn, Netherlands
3 hives in desperate need of requeening :-)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Splitting a single two-colony TBH into two separate hives in situ
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 07:41:25 am »
If the hives look the same, they probably will not notice it at all. The only thing different is the angle and that is not a problem. It should work very well.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 08:17:34 am »
Sounds like a fine plan.    I have overwintered two colonies in the same hive although my entrances where on the side and not the end.   I did not split them into separate hive as you are proposing,  but since the entrance locations are staying the same,  they will not care.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 09:06:08 am »
We've housed two in one before.  I'm sure when you split it will be fine.  If you are worried just put something in front of the opening to force reorientation.  But with the openings in pretty much the same place they should do fine.  When I've had to split or move sometimes they come back and are a little confused but they'll drift into the nearest hive anyway.