Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from cidersabuzzin in uk.  (Read 2965 times)

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
Hi from cidersabuzzin in uk.
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:54:47 pm »
Hi everyone
A newbee just starting out, built my first KTBH awaiting Spring for my first bee's. I live in Somerset in Southwest of the UK, now retired ... sort of! can you ever be with grandchildren? Still on a learning curve with the bee's, have attending beginners classes for the last six months and continuing this year. Hope to get lots of advice from you experts out there! :)
Regards
cider   
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hi from cidersabuzzin in uk.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 02:10:58 pm »
my sister lives just outside Chard.

welcome to the board.  when you get a chance, go into your profile and post your location.  that way you won't have to remind us where you live every time you post :)
beekeeping goes well with grandchildren
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:29:52 pm »
Hi  Kathy
Are you saying I can't have the power of the sword? :( re your sister, is she American and living here? or are you one of us?
Best Regards
cider

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 05:30:08 pm »
Are you saying I can't have the power of the sword?

as i hear it, you can not  :-D

she married one of you, but that's ok.  he's a pretty good guy.....for a brit.... :evil:  she's been there about 10  years and really likes it.  she'd take a pass on the winter you are having.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 06:10:14 pm »
Hi Kathy
Glad to see she is enjoying life here. We are in for a bit more snow overnight about 15cm,brrrr! Some Brits are not to bad you know! Whats it like weather wise in Oregon?
Best Regards
cider

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 08:37:28 pm »
i always have fun when i go over. it's always fun to hear what people in other countries think of your own!  i am amazed that so many people in Europe care about what goes on here.  they walk right up and start talking about politics and stuff.  :-) 
for my part, i love crawling around in old stuff.  we don't have anything here that is so old.  i could spend months reading old church documents and headstones.

our weather is much like yours.  we usually have more snow, but you beat us this year so far.  gloomy, damp, chilly, in winter.  nice summers, but kind of short.  not to many days of extreme temps either way.

my sister is going to buy chains for the car when she comes home in a few months.  she's kicking herself that she didn't do it last year.

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 10:52:10 am »
Hi Kathy
It wasn't as bad as it could have been re: snow, only 2" or so and it's all gone now. Is your sister into bees? the reason I ask is the club I belong to (Quantock Bee Keepers Association, a division of Somerset Bee keeping Association) who run the classes at Brymore School one of the people attending   
is from Chard. Its probably a coincidence though.
Best Regards
cider

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 12:40:06 pm »
no bees for her.  they have a pretty small place with a small yard.  no place to put bees.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 02:54:06 pm »
no bees for her.  they have a pretty small place with a small yard.  no place to put bees.

There's always a place for bees!

Welcome Cider!  I think you'll enjoy the forum.  Ideas and information aplenty here.

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 04:23:44 pm »
Hi lenape13
I think you could be right, my garden (yard) is like a postage stamp in the middle of a housing estate (is that a tract in the US?) eventually I got permission to put my hive(s) hopefully! on an organic farm a short distance from our village :) hope everything is OK with you.
Regards
cider

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 12:17:19 am »
Cider, welcome to our forum, so great you found us.  We have many members that are joining from all over the world and we are growing so in those numbers, it is good and so cool.  Stick around, we love new members.  This will be a place where you will make some new friends, a place to tell your stories, tales, you will have many, and you can do a whole lotta learnin' too.  There is no retirement, period....I have two Grandsons, 15 and 10, and they have always kept me just a hoppin'.  Good to have you here.  Have that most wonderful day, to love and live, with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service