Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap out question.  (Read 5838 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Trap out question.
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:36:15 pm »
Got a call today from a lady who had a swarm in their back yard today.  They have a big old tree with a big hole in it and lots of bees flying in and out.  So Im guessing I missed the prime swarm and a virgin will be hatching and mating soon.  I have never done a trap out before.  I was assuming that the queen would eventually come out but it sounds like you dont get the original queen.  But, if you are dealing with a queen that will soon fly to mate, can you not get her if she cant get back in.

Im wondering if I can get the whole colony if I get the trap out up soon enough to catch the queen on a return from mating?  No, yes?  Is there a way to do a trap out and get the queen either way?

If I cant remove them, they likely will kill them.  They are worried about there kids and dogs.  I got her to at least wait and see what I can do with it.

Please give me any good links to trap out info if you have them.

Thanks,
Bee-Nuts
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Trap out question.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 10:42:55 pm »
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 10:59:31 pm »
If they are in such a hurry to get rid of them, it sounds like the swarm may have just moved in, rather than having swarmed from that tree.

If so, they have no stores, so a trap should empty the tree in a matter of a few days.

On the chance they did come from the tree,
If a virgin queen comes out and goes in the trap, you still have weeks to complete the trap out. There will be bees emerging for at least a week, then another week or two before they are old enough to fly.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 11:56:11 pm »
I got the impression the bees were already in the tree but you may be right.  I did not ask if they were there before  I assumed it came out of the tree because she said there were thousands of bees flying around the yard and they ended up on a branch, then left. 

I will have to call and ask this question.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:28:11 am »
I just got an email back and they have been there over two months so should be a virgin in there but its probably more hassle than I want to deal with.  Im going to stop and take a look just in case I can cut the tree open a bit or something and pull the comb out.  She said the hole is pretty big but Ill just have to see it for myself.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 07:38:43 pm »
Take pics.........
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 03:02:05 am »
I will take pics and video.  I looked a bit at some of your info Iddee about trap outs.  Why cant I put the cone into a hole in back of a beehive and leave the normal entrance.  Would I not get the virgin queen then and most the bees and be able to just take it after four week or when Im sure the virgin is mated and there is no brood left in tree.  Then I would seal it up so they dont get more bee in it.

I was hoping to have time to get there today, yesterday to be technical but did not have time.  I will do my best to make it there tomorrow cause if I am going to do this time is wasting for a mating virgin.  Might have as little time as a week or less if any plan working around a virgin is going to work, huh?

Will aluminum window screen work for the cone?  I heard they can bite through it if they are determined.  Its all I have on hand.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 09:31:04 am »
Cone into box doesn't work.

Window screen seldom works.

I have had queens mate 3 days after emerging.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 05:13:19 am »
Finally set up trap out yesterday.  Talked to a guy who says hes the best trap out guy there is.  Talked to him on phone for a couple hours.  Seems to know his stuff.  He claims you can get the queen out and shared his secrets with me.  Now of course I cant share them and nobody will believe me if I do get the queen out but I let you all know if I do anyway.

June 30th bee tree.mpg

Thomas Jefferson

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 01:57:57 pm »
WOW! That is a secret. I never even seen the trap, it's hidden so well.

Why don't you give us the trapper's name, so others that know him may expound on his great attributes?

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 02:17:48 pm »
Hey Idee, I knew you would get exited, LOL.  You cant trap out the queen.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 05:26:07 pm »
You can run her out, but catching her is another matter...

I have found her on the outside of the trap before she took off, but it doesn't happen often.

*Shel Silverstein*

anything