Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Saving Bees-Fungus found to attack Varroa Mites  (Read 3932 times)

Offline latebee

• House Bee
Saving Bees-Fungus found to attack Varroa Mites
« on: March 19, 2005, 12:13:28 am »
This is something I copied from another site,found it interesting as I have seen this discussed here previously-----------
 Scientests in the ARS Beneficial Insects Research Unit at Welasco,Texas,have found that a strain of the fungus Metarhizium anisoplias is deadly to varroa mites. Parasites known as varroa mites infest honeybee colonies,sucking blood from the bees causing weight loss,deformities,diseases and reduced lifespan.Thes mites which can nearly destroy an entire colony within a few months,now infest honey bee colonies across most of North America.This potent fungus,which also kills termites,doesn't harm bees or affect thier queen's production.To test it,the scientists coated plastic strips with dry fungal spores and placed them inside the hives. Since bees naturally attack anything entering thier hives,they tried to chew up the plastic strips,spreading the spores throughout the colony.
  In field trials,once the strips were inside the the hives,several bees quickly made contact with the spores.Within 5 to 10 minutes,all the bees in the hive were exposed to the fungus,and most of the mites on them died within 3 to 5 days. The fungus provided exellent control of varroa without impeding colony growth. "Beekeepers are very edgy about using fluvalinate and coumaphos and are eager to see this natural contol get to the market." "Metharhizum gets the job done and we don't have to worry about varroa becoming resistant to the fungus" Walker A. Jones is in the USDA-ARS Beneficial Insects Research Unit,2413 E. Highway 83, Welasco TX 78596;phone(956)969-4852 fax (956) 969-4888.
      Seems promising huh?http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?SEQ_NO_115=140685
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 12:18:20 am »
According to some posts on the "other site" the fungus did not repeat the results in the field trials that it initially showed in the lab.  We are all interested in where this goes

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 02:25:22 pm »
According to Dr. Zachary Huang Principal Investigator; Cooperative Extension Outreach, MSU during ANR week good results are to be had. Problem is due to the way the fungihas to begrowen on strips to make it practical for beekeepers the strips will cost about $50.00 each right now.
He said he was sure they would bee releaseing for sale to bee keepers in about 2 to 4 years once they had the cost down to a competive range with Apastane and Checkmite strips.

:D Al

Offline bill

• House Bee
varoa mite fungus
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 03:39:55 pm »
I am still a novice but it comes to my mind that if you bought one dose of the fungus i wonder if you could later take a couple of frames out of the hive and exchange it with one from another hive and spread the fungus without spending fifty a pop
billiet

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 04:08:21 pm »
Them figuring out how to make purchasing the strips a yearly necessity is probably a major holdup.  Wouldn't be much of a market if it was only purchased once.  Some clever people will probably learn to grow the stuff themselves once it's out there and can get their hands on it.