Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How often do you get stung?  (Read 14333 times)

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: How often do you get stung?
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2009, 12:36:58 am »
I get stung every couple of times I go in the hives, mostly always from the same hive it seems, its my biggest one.
I guess I have gotten stung around 8-10 times since April checking 10 hives but I have gotten stung doing stuff around the yard when I am not near the hives, I was scooping up leaves in the garden the other day and got stung on the finger, I never did see who did it but my hand swelled something terrible.
Then I got popped on the temple while walking to the chicken coop.

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2009, 07:13:23 am »
This is my first year - one colony.

One sting on my finger during first inspection when I picked up the inner cover to replace it and didn't notice the bee on the edge. So, all my fault.

I think the girls have been just too busy when I've done inspections. That first inspection is the only time I have used vail and smoke.

-Paul
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

Offline jeepaddict4life

• New Bee
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2009, 12:37:13 pm »
This is my first year of having my own bees, and 6 weeks into it, visiting the hive approx. once a week, I have not been stung yet. I use my veil and smoker every time. I don't use gloves, and often a short-sleeved shirt. They have not even tried to sting me or my clothing (yet). They are generally very calm and docile. Last visit I had to move the entire hive to fix the hive stand (which had begun to settle in one corner), and still no stings.  :-D Let's see how long I can keep that up...

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
  • 42 days and their wings fall off, eh?
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2009, 12:40:58 pm »
Began my first hive the first week of April. Got my first sting that night setting it up.  Then a few more times during April and May, but I made it all the way through June without any, lets see what July has to offer.  Just checked inside the hive a couple days ago but didn't get stung even though a couple bees landed on my bare legs. I do wear the veil with jacket and gloves now and don't be lazy about it.  Because when I normally get stung its in the head, face and hands.
-pc