Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is there a business opportunity here?  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Pink Cow

• House Bee
Is there a business opportunity here?
« on: April 08, 2011, 07:53:51 pm »
Dead bee removal, maybe?

Get a call on Tuesday evening from a woman very close to my home and she tells me of this "huge hive" in a bush in her front yard and starts asking about the cost. I would have had no problem doing it for free for the bees and the fun of it but before I get to that she tells me she's allergic and needs them out ASAP. I ask if she knows whether they are honey bees or wasps and she says the guy she had out earlier to spray them said they were honey bees. "What?! You've already had them sprayed? You mean with insecticide?" "Yes, but some are still alive and I need them removed." I ask why the guy that sprayed did not remove them and she says he told her to call a beekeeper. Nice! What a tool. I ended the conversation at this point with, "Sorry, I can't help you with this. I have no use for dead bees." She was not happy.

Two days later another woman not far away calls to ask me to come and remove bees near a vent on her house. In the second sentence she mentions that her husband has already sprayed them but some are still alive. Of course.....  I ended the conversation at this point with, "Sorry, I can't help you with this. I have no use for dead bees."

Today I started thinking that maybe I should be nice to these people and see if I can fatten my wallet a bit. I use a homemade bucket vac when necessary so I could get a second bucket to use only for sprayed bees and tell them I'd be happy to help if we can agree on a fee - a fat fee.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
Re: Is there a business opportunity here?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:10:28 pm »
It's only two calls and possibly from the same person. I'd consider placing the personals aside and go do the job for a fee with out bias. Whom ever it is sounds scared. mention something like, next time - would you mind letting me know before they're sprayed? I'd be more than happy too - Relocate etc.  Maybe you'll get more opportunities by word of mouth - if that's what you want.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:28:26 pm by wd »

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 01:57:45 am »
Charge 'em!

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 02:10:42 am »
I do find it amusing how many people think they are allergic to bees.  It's like 50% think they are allergic when the doctors tell us it is more like 1%.  So is it a surprise they want something for free, probably not.  People are very illogical when it comes to what they think should be “free” and what should cost money.    

I agree with the guys above, be nice about it and tell them fairly early in the conversation that it is difficult work to remove bees (dead or alive) and like any other home repair service (plumbing, electrical, etc) there is a fee for work.  Have them watch some videos on this site if they don’t think you guys earn your money.

It sounds like the caller was fearful in this case which makes it all the more illogical that she would not be willing to pay you for your work.  

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 11:12:56 am »
Five bucks says the "huge hive" in the bush was nothing more than a blooming shrub being worked by the bees. I get that call every year, invariably some variation of a burford holly. The caller wants them gone ASAP but the plain and simple truth is wait till the bloom is gone and so will the bees. I'm fairly blunt in these situations and give them a price for cutting down the bush.
As for the "allergic types" it's more of an allergy to pain than anything else. My wife was "allergic to bees" until she met me. The true histomine reaction to honeybee venom (anaphalactic shock level) is actually rare in the general population. For the rest of us the histomine reaction (there is always some level of reaction when a foreign substance is injected into the body) ranges from the barely noticeable (myself) to alarming but non threatening (swelling, itching, pain, etc.). As far as the numbers go food allergies far outrank honeybee venom on the scale of threat to the general public.
If you really want to rattle the chain just ask these allergic folks where their epipen is and ninety percent of the time you'll get a blank look.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 12:51:02 pm »
Certainly there are a lot of folks that will tell you they are allergic who are not, or have no way of knowing if they are.

With that said, it is a very dangerous thing for a beekeeper to assume that any specific individual that says they are allergic is not...people do die from honeybee stings (including a childhood friend of mine):
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F02E0DF133AF937A15754C0A9619C8B63

I would be very cautious about removing bees that have already been sprayed for someone that claims to be deathly allergic.  Proceding without proper insurance (which probably requires a pesticide applicators license and perhaps a contractors license if you are removing bees from structures) is foolish.....when this person gets stung a week after you have been there, you could still be on the hook.

deknow

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 01:10:46 pm »
Don't think your gonna have to worry about someone getting stung and getting any money out of it.  You would have to prove that the bee was one that you should have removed.  Impossible to say the least.  Best thing is to draw up a waver that says in the event of you getting injured you won't sue them doing this job and they won't sue you for say damages done during the removel.  Doesn't stop them from bring a case against you if they really want to but those type of people are gonna take you to court regardless.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 02:31:42 pm »
Is there a business opportunity here? 

YES

Politely explain Poison was not a wise choice, but you can do the
job correctly and there will be no more Bees however you will have to be cautious of the poison.
 I would Thank them for being honest about it.Then Explain you will remove all the Dead, and living
Including Toxic Comb, and dispose of it properly,
Be sure too explain it would have been cheaper and safer to call
a bee keeper for bees Just like you would a Plumber for a roof leak  :shock:  :-D
Get a fair price,

Get Cash..... no Check

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 09:09:47 pm »
i have not had the chance yet but i would charge by the hour from the time i left my house, say 25 an hour and if bees are sprayed charge 45 hour.  just to show up i would collect 25 bucks before i even look or get tools out

i dont feel any beekeeper hobbyist or business should do this for free.  it takes experience and tools to do this like any trade not to mention its not free to drive around.  i would also do it for any type of bee by the hour honey bees being the cheapest type of removal.  maybe if the colony is healthy and you find queen there could be a 20% discount afterwards.
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 11:17:53 pm »
  I respond to all calls. sprayed bees get a plain shop vac visit rather than the more gentle methods.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline GWDawg1

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 11:28:01 am »
I think there should be a charge for cutouts, and any other removal other than a low bush, i.e. walk up and cut it off.  Anyone venture to post rates?  Mileage charge? 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 12:22:38 pm »
most don't charge for swarms, but i am going to add "donations to gas tank welcome" to my ads this year.  i am also turning down cutouts in homes this year.  there are plenty of farms with bees in outbuildings and the union contractors in this state are to twitchy.  I'll maby do it if one of them calls and we have a written agreement and some cash.  otherwise, i don't want to be on their S*** list. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.