Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding A Capped Queen Cell  (Read 3748 times)

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
Adding A Capped Queen Cell
« on: May 05, 2009, 12:08:56 pm »
I installed 2 packages on April 28.  One package has a queen and eggs.  The second one is queenless.  I can tell by the behavior.

I also have strong hive in 2 deeps and 2 mediums that had started building swarm cells.  The several that I saw were not yet capped but had young larvae in them on May 3rd.  On May 3rd, I removed the 3 year old queen and five frames of bees, comb, honey, pollen and emerging brood and put them in a new location.

I plan on taking a frame with swarm cells from the old hive and placing it into my queenless package hive.   I would still be leaving swarm cells behind for the old hive.

I figure that some of them may be capped by this weekend or a few days sooner.  How long should I wait after they are capped before transfering them to the package?   

Thanks
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Adding a Capped Queen Cell
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 07:21:36 pm »
BoBn, I see no flaws with your plan, sounds text book. But, I am not as experienced as others on the forum. I would transfer the queen cells as soon as they are capped.

Good Luck,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 11:41:49 pm »
sounds like you done this before  :-D  ;) ,  very good plan, glad to see you found the queen and moved her before she left. if you had some nuc boxes you could move a couple frames of bee's with a cell on one and start another. 
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 09:00:48 pm »
On May 3rd, I removed the 3 year old queen and five frames of bees, comb, honey, pollen and emerging brood and put them in a new location.

I plan on taking a frame with swarm cells from the old hive and placing it into my queenless package hive.   I would still be leaving swarm cells behind for the old hive.

I took out a frame with swarm cells as planned, and put into the queenless package hive on May 7.   The strange thing is that I saw another laying queen in the hive that I removed the queen from.   :roll: 
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 03:33:23 am »
I was at a Dewy Caren lives nearby my in Oregon and spoke at the bee school my chapter put on.  In that he said that they were doing a study using queenlessness as a mite controll method.  He observed that after they removed the queens from colonies and then went back to look for queen sign, about 20% still had a queen in them.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 11:04:14 pm »
I was at a Dewy Caren lives nearby my in Oregon and spoke at the bee school my chapter put on.  In that he said that they were doing a study using queenlessness as a mite controll method.  He observed that after they removed the queens from colonies and then went back to look for queen sign, about 20% still had a queen in them.

Mid-summer splits achieves the same objective of a brood dearth that disrupts the varroa reproduction cycle.  Why do all the extra work of doing queenless hives when a much simpler and easier implimented method already exists?  On top of that, I've noticed that bees with Russian genetics have a tendency to induce a brood dearth of their own after a large honey flow.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 11:26:41 pm »

On top of that, I've noticed that bees with Russian genetics have a tendency to induce a brood dearth of their own after a large honey flow.

very true, they stop raising brood as soon as the flow stops
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

anything