Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Jar Feeders  (Read 3068 times)

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
Jar Feeders
« on: April 20, 2009, 01:03:05 pm »
Anyone ever use jars, with punched or drilled holes, hung upside down from a tree limb? My Dad (93 years young) and his pal (88 years, still a mere youth) both swear that this will work. I'd be more sceptical, except that the 88-year old has been keeping bees for at least 35 years that I know of....
It is what it is.......except when it isn't.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Jar Feeders
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 01:24:39 pm »
The only problem that I can think of is that all of the hummingbirds will chase off the bees.   :-D

Actually, it should work mostly in the fall as long as you can keep the syrup far enough from the hives.  The nice thing about jar feeders in the spring is that they can be right on top of the cluster and they can take it even if the weather is too chilly to fly.

It is just another form of open feeding.  Many bigger commercial beekeepers just stick a 50 gallon barrel of syrup out with sticks in it and let the bees go to town on it.

Rick
Rick

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 01:36:02 pm »
I think I may try this...it'll tickle Dad, anyway.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:17:54 pm »
It will have all the drawbacks of the boardman and any movement of the tree or jar will probably cause dripping.   I don't really see any advantage.  But hey, if it will give your dad a smile,  go for it. :-D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:55:52 pm »
Haven't tried that way of feeding.  Could get interesting.   

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 07:13:03 pm »
I've used these 1 gallon waterers to open feed away from the hives.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34414_-1______14602|16201|34414?listingPage=true&Special=false

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:16:49 pm »
I'd do it for dad and if it doesn't work out don't tell him ;)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 09:55:07 pm »
I'd do it for dad and if it doesn't work out don't tell him ;)
Good advice!!! :)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 01:11:06 am »
Anyone ever use jars, with punched or drilled holes, hung upside down from a tree limb? My Dad (93 years young) and his pal (88 years, still a mere youth) both swear that this will work. I'd be more sceptical, except that the 88-year old has been keeping bees for at least 35 years that I know of....

That's an old method of feeding that was intended more for it's entertainment value that practicality.  It will work, the bees will go there to feed and the jar may have to be refilled daily.  Feeding that way will sometimes draw a swarm near it.  But back in the days before TV, flicks were 10 cents a pop, when 10 cents could feed the family for the entire day, such entertainment was a crowd catcher.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 09:35:30 am »
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34414_-1______14602|16201|34414?listingPage=true&Special=false

I like this! There's a Tractor Supply near my home, so I think I'll stop by today & see if I can get a couple of these..... thanks for the tip!

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 09:40:53 am »
Well, Pop helped me make a couple of jar feeders, an interesting sling (from jute garden twine) to hang them in, and we affixed the feeders to a limb close to the new hive.....bees loved it!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 09:47:22 am »
I am happy for you, your dad must have been happy too, its the little things like this that we will remember down the road :)

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 09:51:07 am »

I like this! There's a Tractor Supply near my home, so I think I'll stop by today & see if I can get a couple of these..... thanks for the tip!

If anyone uses the poultry waterers its a good idea to roll up a cloth and sit them in the water rims so the bees don't drown.
It gives them a place to stand too.
I saw this somewhere online a while ago.
Regular cloths may be too large but you can go to walmart and buy infant face cloths in the baby section, they are smaller and you get several to a package.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 09:57:51 am »
Gosh, we been doing that for years. We call them humming bird feeders !

When the draught comes we change the name to humming bee feeders !!

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "