Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hanging bait hive?  (Read 2946 times)

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
Hanging bait hive?
« on: April 28, 2011, 02:08:19 am »
Well, I have been lucky this year.  I figured I may get 1, but  have 3 colonies now!  I went out to the garden and the swarm trap I placed out there captured a swarm!  As long as I'm bragging, I just might show off as well.

[youtube]howboutit.flv[/youtube]

Wheeeee!

My question is:  After I took this video I waited until dark and tried to get the bees out of the tree, only to get them stirred up after I failed to think ahead and put the opening where I could reach it.  Later in the morning it was pouring down rain, the entrance pointing upwards.

Getting the bait hive balanced on a limb in a tree is kind of like pushing a donut with the eraser of a pencil.  It would just be easier to pull it with a string.  If I hang the hive would the bees accept it?  Would any banging around in the wind set them off?  Is there any reason to consider it a really bad idea?
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
Re: Hanging bait hive?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 01:23:47 pm »
need some entrance closers?
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:41:26 pm »
Hey Joe.

No I think I have that problem solved, I just cut some blocks of wood to fit the holes.  Right now I'm trying to see if anyone or the bees have any bias toward the hive body swinging around.  My guess is either it's too simple and I'll find out for myself, or nobody has tried it; though I know they hang beehives in trees in Africa.  I'm not hanging an established hive, I'm hanging a bait trap.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 06:35:03 pm »
Im pretty sure that Bud uses the hanging traps religiously.

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:56:51 pm »
Hey,
run a guy rope from the bottom of the box to the tree to keep it from spinning around. Or two lines to two anchor points on the ground.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 04:00:35 am »
Yessir!  Thank you!

anything