Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving bees short distance  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Light

• New Bee
Moving bees short distance
« on: December 29, 2008, 08:02:36 pm »
I have about 30-50 wild blackberry bushes roughly 1/4 mile from my hives.  Would it make any difference to move a hive right beside the bushes?  I've read they can forage up to about 4 miles.  For wild blackberry when would should I watch for that/take the honey off to get it as pure as possible?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Moving bees short distance
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 08:18:33 pm »
Bee generally don't forage much past one mile.  But they CAN forage four miles.  But only if they are really desperate.  I'd put them within 1/4 mile if you really want them pollinated which is where you already have them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Paul33

• New Bee
    • 1279 Honey - Chavannes de Bogis - The Honey People
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 11:42:24 am »
Hi Light,
   this might be a dumb point but over here we say that you can move a hive either a foot or a mile - nothing in between or they get lost (because of the way they navigate).

So whilst it might appear to be only a small distance it might be sufficient for you to end up with piles of bees on the grass where the hives were and empty hives where they are now.

Just my two cents and please correct me if I'm wrong.
Paul.

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 10:18:25 pm »
what you can do is move them one mile away from the blackberry bushes and then a week later, 1-1/4 miles to the blackberry bushes.  just a thought  ;)

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:30:47 pm »
A quarter of a mile is 440 yards, I would suspect they will go to the blackberries just fine if they want to. Moving them closer is no assurance they will work them anyway, so I would leave them right where they are.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything