Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Syrup issue..?  (Read 4674 times)

Offline CJ

• House Bee
Syrup issue..?
« on: April 25, 2013, 08:13:18 pm »
Hey all,

just a quick question; The syrup I've been making (2:1) has been making a 5-10mm crystallised crust at the bottom of the feeders that I think is stopping the girls from being able to draw the feed. Am I not cooking it long enough to 100% dissolve the sugar or something?

Cheers,
CJ
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:37:18 am by CJ »

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
Re: Syrup issue..?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 04:23:04 am »
Hey CJ, I don't feed at all so I can't help you out. Other than maybe you made Toffee :laugh:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 05:21:24 am »
Sounds like the reverse problem. I'm not sure but are you boiling the water with the sugar in it.  I heat the water in the microwave then remove it and add the sugar and stir it until it dissolves. How long is the sugar water staying in the hive before it is crystallizing? Are they not using it? What are your temps like?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 08:14:58 am »
It sounds like the sugar may not have dissolved properly. I prefer to use boiling water and really mix it with a whisk to dissolve all the grains of sugar.

Ben

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:24:47 pm »
may be created by evaporation ... are you sure they're taking it?

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:45:42 pm »
Hey all,

just a quick question; The syrup I've been making (2:1) has been making a 5-10mm crystallised crust at the bottom of the feeders that I think is stopping the girls from being able to drawn the feed. Am I not cooking it long enough to 100% dissolve the sugar or something?

Cheers,
CJ
I heat mine up in a pot until its totally dissolved, this year im going to try something new, im going to add  blue or green food dye to it so i know exactly what was sugar syrup in the hive.
They should clean up the sugar in about a day, i use a small chicken drinker , i fill it and place small twigs where the liquid is so they dont drown , i place an empty super (no frames) on top and sit the feeder on top of the frames in the box below and put the lid on this works great , you can buy feeder boards too, good luck ill be mixing up sugar soon.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:48:24 pm »
you don't need such a thick mix at this time of the year.  no need to waste sugar!  at 1:1 you should be able to mix it with hot tap water.  even thicker i don't use boiling water, but if getting it done quickly is an issue, boil the water first then either add the sugar to it or it to the sugar.  don't boil the mix.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline CJ

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 03:29:25 am »
I was boiling the water first, adding the sugar and dissolving and then letting it get to boiling again before taking it off.
Only leaving it on the hives for 4-5 days and day time temps still sitting about 22-24deg.
I assumed they would take it as Ive been watching them use up their own honey for the last 3 weeks, maybe they're still not interested.
Was told this time of year to use 2:1 to avoid stimulating brood rearing so late in the season in case of a cold snap..?

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 12:30:08 pm »
2:1 is a good mixture going into winter. I bring my water to a full boil then add sugar and stir a lot. I do not reheat the mix. -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline CJ

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 08:39:15 pm »
Appreciate the advice everyone, thanks. Trying again today, will let you know how it goes  :)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 02:43:56 am »
you don't need such a thick mix at this time of the year.  no need to waste sugar!  at 1:1 you should be able to mix it with hot tap water.  even thicker i don't use boiling water, but if getting it done quickly is an issue, boil the water first then either add the sugar to it or it to the sugar.  don't boil the mix.

This time of year in the Land Downunder we're going for stores over brood stimulation! 2:1 is what's needed