Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cypress pine boxes and cleats  (Read 9745 times)

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
Re: Cypress pine boxes and cleats
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 10:32:27 pm »
As I understand it, YOUNG cypress doesnt last any longer that standard pine, its the older cypress that has the lasting power? Dont even remember where I read that, but I was also looking into cypress boxes. I have some that are about 4 years old. They were coated with two coats of urethane. They look rough and are splitting, but they are not rotting....

Let me mention this, if you have the ability to make your own box.....

It costs me about forty five dollars to build a hive, including frames, yes I make my own frames, without metal on the tele cover.
   I make a medium ten frame box for the cost of a box store 1x8x8 which is about $4.29 at the current time.
   Paint? I do, because I have access to old/left over/mismatched colors for free. BUT, I consider ALL parts of a hive to be disposable at that price. I spend the winter making new equipment and refurbishing used equipment. It keeps me busy and gives me something to do.
    I have boxes that are left over from my mentor that I helped him assemble in 1978 that are still in service..  They dont look good, up close, but they still function. SO, for 5 dollars, you build a box and slap some cheap paint on it and it lasts 5 to 8 years. (maybe over 30 years if you keep them in good repair) At the end of that time, the corners where you pry the boxes apart are getting soft, maybe the bees have begun using that corner as an extra entrance? You take another 5 dollar box and swap the frames out the next time you do an inspection, and retire the old box.....  Yes?   No! You take it apart and use the good sides to refurbish another box for next year....
   Now, if you have four or five hives, and desire to use Cedar, and clear coat them, with a cooper garden cover, and use curly maple for the bottom board.. I dont have ANY argument with that.  I have seen some Astonishing hives in the past, and I do truly enjoy looking at them, but I couldnt afford to do that to 50+ hives....
   Hives purchased at 200+ each x 50 = ten grand  Hives built at 50 dollars each x 50 (electricity, glue etc) = 2500...
   Keeping myself busy and being frugal has saved me better than 7500 dollars,  and expanding to over 150 hives next year I expect to save even more...
   I think Mr. Bush is the one that does not even paint anymore for much the same reason... hive components are easier and cheaper replaced, because they are inexpensive.    Just something to consider!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Dave86

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 11:43:07 pm »
As I understand it, YOUNG cypress doesnt last any longer that standard pine, its the older cypress that has the lasting power? Dont even remember where I read that, but I was also looking into cypress boxes. I have some that are about 4 years old. They were coated with two coats of urethane. They look rough and are splitting, but they are not rotting....

Let me mention this, if you have the ability to make your own box.....

It costs me about forty five dollars to build a hive, including frames, yes I make my own frames, without metal on the tele cover.
   I make a medium ten frame box for the cost of a box store 1x8x8 which is about $4.29 at the current time.
   Paint? I do, because I have access to old/left over/mismatched colors for free. BUT, I consider ALL parts of a hive to be disposable at that price. I spend the winter making new equipment and refurbishing used equipment. It keeps me busy and gives me something to do.
    I have boxes that are left over from my mentor that I helped him assemble in 1978 that are still in service..  They dont look good, up close, but they still function. SO, for 5 dollars, you build a box and slap some cheap paint on it and it lasts 5 to 8 years. (maybe over 30 years if you keep them in good repair) At the end of that time, the corners where you pry the boxes apart are getting soft, maybe the bees have begun using that corner as an extra entrance? You take another 5 dollar box and swap the frames out the next time you do an inspection, and retire the old box.....  Yes?   No! You take it apart and use the good sides to refurbish another box for next year....
   Now, if you have four or five hives, and desire to use Cedar, and clear coat them, with a cooper garden cover, and use curly maple for the bottom board.. I dont have ANY argument with that.  I have seen some Astonishing hives in the past, and I do truly enjoy looking at them, but I couldnt afford to do that to 50+ hives....
   Hives purchased at 200+ each x 50 = ten grand  Hives built at 50 dollars each x 50 (electricity, glue etc) = 2500...
   Keeping myself busy and being frugal has saved me better than 7500 dollars,  and expanding to over 150 hives next year I expect to save even more...
   I think Mr. Bush is the one that does not even paint anymore for much the same reason... hive components are easier and cheaper replaced, because they are inexpensive.    Just something to consider!

Old mech

Your comparing apples to oranges here.

In Australia the cheapest box from hoop pine is about $22aud (28.60usd) give or take.

Making these ones out of cypress I can make them for about $16aud ($20.80usd) even buying hoop pine myself I can make them about the same as cypress.

The unfortunate reality for us Australians is the days of cheap boxes are well and truly gone. Even importing from NZ relates to bugger all savings and a whole lot of headaches dealing with customs and border force.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:04:22 am by Dave86 »

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 05:00:32 pm »
Yes unfortunately timber here is becoming a luxury. Roughly speaking, an 8' length of 7 1/4" x 3/4" radiate pine at the local hardware is AUS$20.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 06:25:03 pm »
I can't get it for what OldMech is paying.  I have to pay $10-$12 US for $4.29 board.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 10:03:14 pm »
Yep I guess I need to look at locations before I go into a long spiel ..   sounded good though!   :embarassed:
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 08:03:29 am »
G day dave, just wandering how the cypress boxes have gone in the summer heat etc, as they were green timber I was concerned that they may move a bit.
I too now source my pine from a local saw mill, much cheaper and have built a good relationship with the bloke there so the timber is cut for me when ever he has qualify material of the right dimensions, he routs the rebate for me etc. Better product at a better price, and the money stays local.

Offline kalium

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 09:03:26 am »
I've just spent the day cutting up about 50 linear metres of cypress pine to make hives from. Yes, it looks far too good to paint.

I've got a small solitary native bee hive made from cypress pine that has been sitting outside
for about a year without any protection and It's a bit split and warped. So yeah, sealing seems like a good idea :)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a half decent, half affordable way of sealing them that isn't paint.

Offline LKBruns

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 11:19:12 am »
Looks Great

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 06:13:15 am »
I am sure i have posted this before but PGA timber in Carrum Downes, near Melbourne has 245 x 22 pine in about 300 lin meter packs for about $2.75 + gst per lin meter.
it is about 50% ex-mill and 50% merchant grade, i waste very little as i cut lid frames, risers and nucs from any pieces that have blemishes or bad knots.
That is about $5.50 in timber cost for an 8 frame super.
Does it get any better?