Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Working on New hives.  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Working on New hives.
« on: March 24, 2013, 09:12:30 pm »
Well today was a great day. Another step closer to being a real beek. :)

My hives arrived last week. I bought unassembled supers because they were cheaper. So today I built 4 jigs for strapping them together after I glued them. They have finger joints so I need them tight. I managed to get 8 of 24 assembled. Its a start and will be enough for the bees I am getting next week.

The jigs took the most time but was worth it. Now things will move much faster.

All most there.  Yea!!!!   :-D

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Working on New hives.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:29:29 pm »
I originally bought hives from an estate, boxes were in bad repair.  So I cut out and put together replacement double deeps for the hives.  During that winter I when though the honey supers and got several of them ready.  Every year you will need more, so you will, if you don't have em, get lots of new tools.  Table saw, skill saw, jigs, router, stapler or two and maybe a nail gun just to mention afew.  It's all fun.  If you were closer we could slang them supers together in no time.  Good luck GB

Joe

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 09:46:26 pm »
Felt the same way a year ago and have done numerous hive removals since and seems like you always need more boxes. Just built four Dcaotes plywood nucs yesterday and had to use one for that swarm today so need some more. Don't want to get caught short of wooden ware.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 09:54:41 pm »
I have most of the utensil I need circular saw, miter saw etc.... I am looking for a table say though. Don't know which one to get. I am looking to get the most bang for the buck. Accuracy is the most important part I guess and NO plastic gears. Hope to find one on clearance or a garage sale maybe.

David.
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 12:59:12 pm »
Felt the same way a year ago and have done numerous hive removals since and seems like you always need more boxes. Just built four Dcaotes plywood nucs yesterday and had to use one for that swarm today so need some more. Don't want to get caught short of wooden ware.
Blanc

that's a fact.  i've been trying to get ahed on hive bodies and i've added one here and there over the last couple of weeks and now all of the sudden if the flow really kicks in i'm behind again already.  yesterday i noticed scouts checking out an empty nuc.  none of my hives have swarm cells so they're coming from somewhere else.  if i get into 3 or 4 swarms in the next week i'll be using old equipment that i was culling just to keep up.  keep building and painting every chance you get. 

Offline woodsstalker

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:08:06 pm »
I have most of the utensil I need circular saw, miter saw etc.... I am looking for a table say though. Don't know which one to get. I am looking to get the most bang for the buck. Accuracy is the most important part I guess and NO plastic gears. Hope to find one on clearance or a garage sale maybe.

David.

if you have not already found a table saw and in no great big hurry - you might try attending a few estate auctions. I have found a lot of "back to the land" items at these at a really affordable price. Just be selective, know what you want to pay for something before you start bidding and keep to your limit. If you don't get what you want at the first auction, there will be others.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:15:35 pm »
Blanc

that's a fact.  i've been trying to get ahed on hive bodies and i've added one here and there over the last couple of weeks and now all of the sudden if the flow really kicks in i'm behind again already.  yesterday i noticed scouts checking out an empty nuc.  none of my hives have swarm cells so they're coming from somewhere else.  if i get into 3 or 4 swarms in the next week i'll be using old equipment that i was culling just to keep up.  keep building and painting every chance you get. 
Got that right 10! More folks are hearing about me and I have a feeling I will be pretty busy this year on swarms and removals. Last year did at least 12 removals and so far this year four and we ain't got started yet!  :-D
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:41:08 pm »
With as many swarms as i caught last year i was building wooden ware everyday it seemed. This year I made it a point to stay on top of my wooden ware inventory so I built hives all winter. I think the best tool I bought recently was a paint gun. I will never be going back with brushes and rollers again. I sprayed 20 Boxes yesterday in just minutes. Don't know how I ever lived without one
Who Dat!!!

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 09:51:01 pm »
gov, that and my paslode impulse nailer.  fires nails small enough to build frames and large enough to build hive bodies, bottoms and tops.  no hoses, runs off of gas cartridges.  

anything