Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Thanks for the post and heads up Cao. Looks like the new season is here since both you and Occam have reported! You are further North than me so I had better go back and check again soon!

Thanks for the picture also. That is a sight I can?t help but enjoy. It?s the retrieving that is fun!). 😊

Phillip
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: first swarm of the year
« Last post by Occam on Today at 01:39:01 am »
Glad you were able to put them in a new residence
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / first swarm of the year
« Last post by cao on Today at 01:37:11 am »
I was reading on another post this morning about a swarm moving into a trap.  I was thinking it was a little early for swarms although it has been warmer than normal.  I am planning on going through some of my hives tomorrow, so I was getting some boxes and other equipment out that I know I will need and what do I see.  You guessed it, a swarm hanging in an apple tree.  I knew after going through my hives earlier that it was going to be an early year but, I thought I had another week.   :shocked: Time to do some splitting with those swarm cells.  Just need to find out which one swarmed.
Dora, what sort of debris are you actually seeing in the tray?  If all that is in the hive at this point is bees, syrup, and completely blank frames, what sort of debris are they making?  Also, do you have any idea if they are clustered on the wall or spread out?   
THE SPORTS BAR / Re: How About A Bit Of Drag Racing; Not Your Typical Car!
« Last post by animal on March 29, 2024, 08:32:36 pm »
the old school go-go boots were a nice touch ... goes with the car  :cool:

her shorts could've been a little shorter ...:smile:
When bees move into A large space, they only have to protect the areas that have drawn comb. If you add a lot of drawn comb to a small hive, they have to waste too many bees to protect it and it seriously slows them down.
Jim Altmiller
Ah, that's a very helpful observation for the future, Jim.

In this case, I think I disturbed the bees too much, among other things.

I'm just concerned about them just hanging on one wall - still. (When I gathered them into the cardboard box, they all crawled up the sides. They seem to have done the same thing in the medium super, except they're on just one wall - still. (I have resisted the urge to look, but can tell by the debris in the pan under the screen.)
Poor quality queens are a major issue.
Agree, packaged bees come with mass produced budget queens.
When bees move into A large space, they only have to protect the areas that have drawn comb. If you add a lot of drawn comb to a small hive, they have to waste too many bees to protect it and it seriously slows them down.
If that's the case, then the space shouldn't be an issue for this colony, since, if I understand correctly, they have no comb at all right now.  It seems to me like what they need is to just get drawing.     
It can be an issue, remember these are package bees not a swarm.  Randomly dumping bees into boxes coming off of pollination contracts aren't always the best or all the correct healthy age for wax production.  You have cool temps with foundationless frames and possibly older bees, so they tend to struggle in the empty hive body.  Some packages that Ive helped beginners with had 2 frames or more of drones and worse a few with twisted wings, the newbee didnt know the difference.  Needless to say drones and sick bees dont draw comb.  Its hard to determine the condition of the OPs packages over the internet.  Im willing to bet that not all 3 packages were created equal.  Dumping packages on foundation or better yet drawn comb almost always produces much better results.
OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FORUM / Re: Gold prospecting using a metal detector
« Last post by Lesgold on March 29, 2024, 05:13:34 pm »
Heading out shortly with my eldest daughter and my grandson for a play. Hopefully they can find a piece or two. A report will follow tonight.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Follow the Bloom - 2024
« Last post by .30WCF on March 29, 2024, 02:13:03 pm »
My small pear and apples are just blooming. Mature trees are done.
At some point I need to get in them and take a look. They still have the excluders on from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10