Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Glues  (Read 7209 times)

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
Re: Glues
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 10:34:26 pm »
WD, I've heard a similar question but the flip side................."you're going to use glue AND nails!  You don't really need the nails!"

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 10:38:02 pm »
one of my immediate warpos that I couldn't take apart after gluing. frames won't set on the frame rest

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 09:57:46 am »
one of my immediate warpos that I couldn't take apart after gluing. frames won't set on the frame rest

WOW !! That is a bunch of warpage. Try to lay it with the warped end down and lay a thick water saturated towel on the raw wood inside for at least 4-5 days keeping it plenty wet. It would help if it was hot water. Then turn it with the warped side up and set something HEAVY on top  for a few days if you do not own clamps that could be used to draw it in over a couple of days.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 02:00:40 pm »
WD, is that a solid pine 1X board or plywood?  I couldn't tell since is has darkened.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 02:33:32 pm »
a catch 22, I guess or maybe I hit a sensitive nerve when I nailed  it together 

The pieces that bowed are solid pine, this is the worst one. I did use it with shims to hold the frames in place right under the top cover for awhile. I've been letting it soak in all this wonderful rain we've been having.  It's old enough now to take it apart and attempt a repair.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 11:31:26 pm »

Was a little surprised on how strong the joints are as is but managed to pull the piece off today with no damage, a new piece won't fit do to swelling, will give it a few days see if it straightens out any with some pressure.  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:45:36 pm by wd »

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 12:42:57 am »
I got several like that... I just added a cleat to the inside to catch the frames... the girls propalize up the lsight crack left when stacking supers
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 01:05:13 am »
beee farmer,

not that it didn't cross my mind, if it doesn't work, I'll put back together and use as you mentioned but only as a super. thanks.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 10:45:36 am »
wd; while it's apart cut several saw kerfs top to bottom on the inside surface maybe 1/4 - 3/8" deep and 1 1/2" apart. Then just nail a cleat on the outside to pull it straight.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2010, 04:10:54 pm »
So which brand Glue is the preferred choice? Didn't mean to change the topic...

a cleat on the outside, now why didn't I think of that ... is that suck it in or is that out -

Thanks fish_stix

WD, I've heard a similar question but the flip side................."you're going to use glue AND nails!  You don't really need the nails!"

nails or screws seem more secure to me though I see the principle.

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 10:23:48 pm »
I only use Glues that are FDA aproved for indirect food contact. Tight bond II is gorilla glue is not but I don't think it will hurt. also price wise Gorilla is to costly. Tight bond II works great in water after its dry I made cutting boards with it that have been through the dish washer hundreds of times.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 12:14:29 am »
I only use Glues that are FDA aproved for indirect food contact. Tight bond II is gorilla glue is not but I don't think it will hurt. also price wise Gorilla is to costly. Tight bond II works great in water after its dry I made cutting boards with it that have been through the dish washer hundreds of times.

Though I think I'll be sticking with nails / screws one can add laminated beams, plywood, etc to the list of just using some sort of adhesive.

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 01:45:36 am »
oh Just fyi I use both Glue and nails. never just one type
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 08:41:25 am »
Are 44 screws an overkill when you are using glue?  Of course, 44 nails are a lot as well.

Thoughts?

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 10:02:43 am »
In my boxes, if there's a pre-drilled hole, I stick a nail in it.  I like knowing that it would take a tank to break my boxes and not wonder if it will come apart on me when I have 20,000 bees inside.  It's most likely overkill, but it gives me the warm n' fuzzy.  :-D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

anything