Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Update on first removal of the year-a bad start!  (Read 1947 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Update on first removal of the year-a bad start!
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:02:45 pm »
I went to start the roof removal today. I opened up a 1.5 x 4 hole in the roof and found just enough comb there to almost fill a bucket. This house was built in 1850 with a flat roof and brick walls. In the 1900's they went over the brick with wood siding and added a pitched roof over the flat one. They also built a new soffet over the original. The main colony is under the original roof! Now I need to go at it from the inside, through the plaster/lath ceiling (and maybe wall).  I sure hope I can get them from there. If not, it's spray time. It is impossible to get to them from the exterior. And, on top of that, the people are hoarders and there isn't much open space to work in in the room. On my price quote, I wrote that prices may go up if there are complications after starting. I told them today the price was going up! Please pray for me that this job gets better!

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
Re: Update on first removal of the year-a bad start!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 07:05:47 pm »
Good luck with this one.
I just got back from a call and it turned out to be thousands of carpenter bees.
The homeowner had a long lean-to attached to the side of the garage that was full of fire wood. Stacked at least six feet high 25' to 30' long double rows. It looked like honeybees doing orientation flights from the truck. I walked up to thousands of carpenter bees. I am guessing they are doing some kind of mating flight.
Different to see but not honeybees.
Small 1/4" holes all over the logs. The bees were small like mason bees.

Good luck with the removal and keep us posted.

Joe

Joe S.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:24:12 pm »
Thanks, Joe. I got a call this evening too, about carpenter bees. The guy said there were at least a thousand flying around a tree. I hadn't heard of carpenter bees doing that before, but he said they were like big black bumblebees. I'm not even going to look; he is about 45 minutes away.

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 02:20:06 pm »
Please pray for me that this job gets better!

Let us know how it goes for you.
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 02:51:48 pm »
Scott, see my "cutout from hell failure" post.