Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: heated capping knife  (Read 2971 times)

Offline funbee1

• New Bee
heated capping knife
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:26:24 pm »
Has anybody out there ever tried an electric knife(like a fillet knife) to remove cappings? did it work OK or totally tear up the wax?

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: heated capping knife
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 03:30:58 pm »
I have not tried an electric knife but I would think it would get bogged down with wax and honey.

I had an old bread knife that I set in a pasta pot full of hot water. It has been working well enough for me that I can not justify buying an electric capping knife from a supplier.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:47:52 pm »
Has anybody out there ever tried an electric knife(like a fillet knife) to remove cappings? did it work OK or totally tear up the wax?

I have used it 42 years

Get a such model that  it keeps its heat
Language barrier NOT included

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:21:25 pm »
Kinski, over here there is an electric knife where the 2 blades go back and forth with respect to each other. Usually used for cutting meat. That is what I was referring to.

http://www.target.com/p/black-decker-9-inch-stainless-steel-electric-knife/-/A-13193087#prodSlot=dlp_medium_1_12&term=kitchen%20electric%20knives

It does OK but not as good as a sharp Chef's knife.

Our electric capping knives are like this one: https://www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH&Store_Code=mannlake&sType=1&Search=knife#!HD-410/0/   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 09:26:03 pm »
the electric knife with two blades works just great!!! for about 3 frames, then they burn up or the gears strip.
been trying to find a commercial grade knife like this but all i can find are the ones for filleting fish.
i stoped trying them after i burned up 2 of them.   but it was the prettiest uncapped combs i have ever seen while it worked :-X

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 11:51:05 pm »
Saw this video a while back.  Seems to work good for him.

How I Extract Honey
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 12:54:30 am »
the electric knife with two blades works just great!!! for about 3 frames, then they burn up or the gears strip.
been trying to find a commercial grade knife like this but all i can find are the ones for filleting fish.

I have two electrict knives which thermostat is broken. If the blade is too hot, it spoils the hone
Awfull to read these examples. Fish knives and hedge cutters, hot guns...

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 12:57:17 pm »
I still use the same electric knife that I inherited from my dad.   Works great.  If I ever have to replace it, I may go with an electric planer.  But it will have to break first before I replace it.   

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 04:20:12 pm »
My first electrict knife came via post from USA about 1970. It was in condition 25 years. It had electrict leaking and it pinched sometimes

The I bought a new one. I forget to shut is for one week and thermostat ruined.
Another dropped to floor and thermostat ruined again.