Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Following the Bloom  (Read 5465 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Following the Bloom
« on: January 15, 2011, 07:01:23 pm »
This  book by Douglas Whynott  tells the story of a migratory beekeeper following the bloom across the country.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: Following the Bloom
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:26:44 pm »
Just out of curiosity, the book was based in 1985, and first published in 1991. Alot has changed in beekeeping since 1985. In particular the exponential growth of Almonds as a pollinating cash crop and mites. I havn't read the book, but I'm a little put off by the timing. If it was in the 40's or 50's I'd be interested because I'd like to read how it used to be done. Based in the mid 2000's would be interesting to see how it IS done. But 1985 is too old to gain information and too young to look at it for nostalgia's sake.

All of this said without reading the book. Just general thoughts.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:11:44 pm »
This book is sort of a biography of migratory beekeepers and a timeline story of some of the bigger names like the Card Family,Wilbanks,Charnock Apiairies to name a couple.
It gives brief histories and an interesting look into the lives of migratory keepers. It was not meant to be a book for education. It is just a good read on migratory beekeeping.
There is quite a bit of history on the Card family dating back into the 60's if I remember correctly.

Whynott interweaves lively vignettes that personalize the story of migratory beekeepers with the hard facts of an industry that could well be pushed into extinction. Challenged by the logistics of transporting thousands of living hives by truck to follow seasonal nectar flows, apiculturists must also contend with mechanical breakdowns, deteriorating environments, pesticides, bee parasites, and government inspectors gassing diseased hives. Of special concern is the threat from Africanized (killer) bees. As rented honeybees are used in agricultural pollination, an invasion of their hives by the killer bees could affect the food economy. This unique book should appeal to a wide lay readership and is recommended for general collections.
- Frank Reiser, Nassau Community Coll., Garden City, N . Y .

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 09:15:59 pm »
Thanks Ken...have you read it?

What's a vignette? :lau:

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:52:50 pm »
Yes Scott,
I have the book and have read it a couple times. I think vignette is a small story. I have loaned this book a couple times to neighbors who have also enjoyed it. Most never realized about migrating with bees.It is a paperback withn less than 250 pages. Perfect for a guy like me without the patience to sit and read a book from cover to cover very often. :)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:55:07 pm »
Some of us are waiting for the movie to come out.