Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cut-Out In Algiers, Louisiana  (Read 6948 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Cut-Out In Algiers, Louisiana
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:54:49 am »
Its always nice when you get a big fat juicy queen, there wasn't a lot of honey and not a ton of comb, but this colony had a ton of bees!!

I caged the queen and thought the bees would go into the nuc and then realized there were still a bunch of bees to the left of the colony, so I expose that section and there were like 5-6 thousand bees just hanging out, was kinda weird.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/August122008

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Cut-Out In Algiers, Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 11:18:36 am »
Can't believe you're still getting swarms this late in summer. I am "jonesing" for a hanging swarm! I also recall earlier in year another Algiers cutout?
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 12:52:29 pm »
Can't believe you're still getting swarms this late in summer. I am "jonesing" for a hanging swarm! I also recall earlier in year another Algiers cutout?

I've done several this yr on the west side of the river, they have lots of bees.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 06:53:46 pm »
hey JP we did a cut out last week very similar to this one .got several thousand bees.i cut out brood and rubber banded them into the frames,did not look to hard for the queen,but they were fanning when i put the brood in and bees were going for the box.checked next day and they were gone.left brood behind and even some open frames of honey.looked every where for them could not find any.is it normal for them to fly the coop like this.it was  very hot last week around 100 or above every day.had to try they were going to tear down the barn they were in.thanks
bill

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 07:23:57 pm »
hey JP we did a cut out last week very similar to this one .got several thousand bees.i cut out brood and rubber banded them into the frames,did not look to hard for the queen,but they were fanning when i put the brood in and bees were going for the box.checked next day and they were gone.left brood behind and even some open frames of honey.looked every where for them could not find any.is it normal for them to fly the coop like this.it was  very hot last week around 100 or above every day.had to try they were going to tear down the barn they were in.thanks
bill

Sometimes this will happen for a variety of reasons, question, had you left the box at the site or had you brought them back home or wherever your beeyard is?

...JP

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 03:39:31 pm »
i brought them back to my house.its about 15 miles from where i got them.

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 03:45:09 pm »
So JP i would like to know how many cut-outs and how many swarms you got this year, if you can count them all.  :roll:

I was just curious  :?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 07:25:25 pm »
Catfish, when its very hot, if the new set up is sticky with honey, the bees may abscond, I'm not saying this is what happened with your set up but it is possible, what do you think?

Jordan, we aren't quite up to date with the latest counts but I checked the current 2008 list and we're at 153, this includes cut-outs and swarms.

...JP

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 08:01:46 pm »
Are you guys seeing an increase in the number of swarms and cutouts from past years?  In other words, what do you think about colony collapse and disappearing bees?
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 11:06:11 pm »
Catfish, when its very hot, if the new set up is sticky with honey, the bees may abscond, I'm not saying this is what happened with your set up but it is possible, what do you think?

Jordan, we aren't quite up to date with the latest counts but I checked the current 2008 list and we're at 153, this includes cut-outs and swarms.

...JP

All i can say to that is (WOW).  :shock:

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 01:33:46 am »
 JP,
 Impressed! What do you do with all of them?  I have learned alot about removals by reading and looking at the pictures that you have posted. Keep it up. I have done 6 cut outs and captured 3 swarms, this year. I have a swarm the size of a basketball to remove, in the morning, if they are still there. I hate to do it so late in the year but, they are there. Do you ever combind a swarm with a weaker hive?
                                            Thanks,
                                             Marc
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 11:02:15 am »
Stephen, CCD as far as we know has not ocurred in Louisiana.

Marc, I keep what I can, combine, sell and give away a ton to friends mostly. I have combined weak hives with swarms, yes.

Jordan, wow is right, we have lots of bees here!! They keep me busy.

...JP

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 01:09:52 pm »
yep,JP i talked to a couple of older guys with way more time in the bees and they told me most time in our area late June early July is cut off for doing cut outs ,too hot,until early fall.but if you do them in the fall then you have a feeding issue.then they told me put them on the golden rod around here and they will make it most of the time.
this is learning curve is huge,i think this is harder than school.thanks
bill