Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The gift of bees,,,  (Read 8040 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
The gift of bees,,,
« on: July 31, 2010, 10:11:41 pm »
I usually watch tv with my laptop in front of me to pass the time between commercials. I've heard of people sponsoring livestock for people in 3rd world countries before but not this.  I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.2668675/

Offline CAHighwind

• New Bee
Re: The gift of bees,,,
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 11:11:01 pm »
That is really cool, the kind of charity that can really do some good.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:29:30 am »
I had not see the gift of bees yet either,   that's cool.

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 01:07:05 pm »
This is a great organization.  My husband and I have donated to this cause a few times, it's a good way to help others become as self sufficient as they can.  And the gift of bees lets them enjoy the bees as much as we do.
We love the girls...

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 01:23:03 pm »
Selfishly speaking, I would like to get ahold of some $30 packages though :)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 02:57:33 pm »
I was just thinking the same thing, 30. bucks for bees I would have more than the one hive I have now

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 03:01:15 pm »
So you would really pay $30 for AHB bees from South America?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 03:11:21 pm »
I have gotten their catalog over the years, but I don't remember ever seeing the gift of bees. Pretty neat and something I can get into for sure.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 03:33:15 pm »
well are they good honey producers?

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 05:56:02 pm »
well are they good honey producers?

absolutely.  but stealing it from them is a b**ch!   :evil: 

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 06:10:19 pm »
yes that does pose a bit of a problem

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 06:46:01 pm »
If you look closer at the pic I would say they are not AHB, many onlookers and the one beek does not have any protection on.

The $30 gets them not only a package of bees but the whole hive also.

Looking at their website seems like their pricing is a little out of skew. Some of the livestock pricing is very high $20 for a bunny, $120 for a piglet or kid. They are even helping out families in the USA. With all of their ranches and farms located in the US you would think the live stock pricing would be very cheap. I wonder where they obtain their package bees and wooden wares.

This sounds like a great idea, but could not find how much actually is given out  (what percentage of the donations) and what are the annual takes of the board of directors. I am sorry but just have seen too many "non profit" organizations that are only for the few fat cats at the top. I know of one here locally that is a scam.

This could be a great organization and I am not downing it since I really do not know anything about it, just sound too good to be true.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 09:31:30 pm »
If you are really intent on helping someone from another country who is poor, do it directly, it has been my experience that these organizations only have a small percentage left that actually gets where you want it to. Contact a faith organization and get in touch with an actual family. This sent my antenna buzzing when I read the small print at the bottom of the home page. Turned me off right there.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 10:05:35 pm »
I don't think you can get gentle bees in Uganda or El Salvador.   El Salvador has AHB and Uganda has the mother stock.  I would call these cheap bees.

And on livestock prices, they change from region to region.   They may have better deals with breeders in other parts of the world on certain animals. 

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 10:23:20 am »
The $30 gets them not only a package of bees but the whole hive also.

:? :? $30 is this a hive of bees or is this a share of a hive  :? :?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 11:06:32 am »
right from their web page...............

Although most Heifer partners keep bees as a supplement to family income, beekeeping can be a family's livelihood. Your gift can help Heifer provide a family with a package of bees, the box and hive, plus training in beekeeping - and this unique gift will be passed on to another family in need.

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 03:14:28 pm »
Also from their web site.....

Gifts made through this catalog represent a gift to the entire mission. To help the most number of families move toward self-reliance, Heifer does not use its limited resources to track gift animals from donation to distribution. We use your gifts where they can do the most good by pooling them with the gifts of others to help transform entire communities. And, because you are helping Heifer fight hunger and poverty, your gift is tax deductible.

No Thanks.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 03:46:01 pm »
one thing that college logic taught me, is that if you are good, you can word things in a way that you can get away with just about anything it looks like they also learned this lesson

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 04:43:21 pm »
charity navigator says 67% of funds go tot he programs and 33% for administration/fundraising.  that's close enough to united way that i will stay far far away.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 04:50:15 pm »
Also from their web site.....

Gifts made through this catalog represent a gift to the entire mission. To help the most number of families move toward self-reliance, Heifer does not use its limited resources to track gift animals from donation to distribution. We use your gifts where they can do the most good by pooling them with the gifts of others to help transform entire communities. And, because you are helping Heifer fight hunger and poverty, your gift is tax deductible.

No Thanks.

Well that's not good! I want to give a gift of bees, not something else.

anything