Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in an attic  (Read 4401 times)

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
Bees in an attic
« on: July 19, 2013, 04:02:05 pm »
Went to do a cut out today and realized due to the way the soffits were built on this house that the length of this colony was not 3 feet long but in fact 6 feet long and 24 inches wide between two trusses and was moving south between the next set of trusses. The length of the colony made it physically impossible/feasible for me to remove it, and since it was new comb it would be near impossible to retrieve any of it intact.  So I stopped and left it alone.  This is a 2 month old colony.

This is the main colony

Colony expansion south in the attic

I actually did something I never dreamed of doing or telling anyone under any circumstances but I told her she had two options.  The first being to call an exterminator ( :( ) and the second being to call a contractor to remove the soffit.  I told her the drawbacks to the first option were having 4 - 5 pounds of dead bees up there and that the honey (an easy 40 pounds) would eventually leak out and probably ruin some part of her house, and that the honey would attract other unwanted critters.  There's also always the chance of exposure to pesticides also.

The drawbacks of the second option basically boiled down to the added expense.

She chose option two so I get another chance and no bees died, other than the 3 that stung me :) :)

Option 3 was to leave the colony and that was unacceptable to her.  So it actually turned out to be a good day and I will revisit this colony soon and give them a new home in my apiary some time soon!
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
Re: Bees in an attic
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:16:05 am »
Removing soffit board is generally very easy, straight forward and a very easy repair. Typically made from 1/2" HD fiberboard primed soffit panel or decorative wood paneling which are both inexpensive and easy to find.

Finding a contractor on the other hand to do the demo that close to a bee colony is going to be a challenge I bet.

Don

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 12:18:40 am »
Yeah I didn't know anyone to recommend.  I'm not bonded or insured or licenced for such types of modifications on a house and the person I'm working for is a lawyer so I'm dotting i's and crossing t's.  Removing the soffit would be pretty straight forward but I'm just not comfortable doing it in this situation :)
Facebook Link

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 12:45:27 pm »
Looks like a tough one to tackle in the attic area for sure. Not sure if I could reach on my back for that hive. Hope you well on it.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 09:20:33 pm »
i have done one like that and you were smart to walk away. it was, without a doubt, the worst removal ever.  i ended up taking a long tool, shoving a tarp under the hive, scraping the hive onto the tarp, then dragging it all out a bit at a time through a small and high ceiling hole.

didn't save the hive, but we got the job done.  took the most sting on a removal ever.  my husband eventually made me leave because he was afraid i'd be sick.

sometimes you have to know when to say no!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 02:26:13 am »
Got a call back and I go back tomorrow for the cutout.  I'm stoked, will post pics :) It's always good to have that extra veil for the person who's butt you're going to be working hard to keep the bees from stinging lol
Facebook Link

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 04:13:40 am »
Do you think they used long enough roofing nails in that house  :laugh:

KathyP, I did get a chuckle out of your experience. :)  You do seem like the persistent type. :-D

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 05:37:56 pm »
I doubt the removal is going to be as hard as you think if you can go through the soffit.

Good luck, take some pictures of the setup before you tear into things, helps sometimes when you go to put it all back together.

If your dearth has started (like here) don't put them near your other hives.

Don

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 05:46:51 pm »
You do seem like the persistent type

well, heck....once i was up there....

couple of things.  RED light if you need one.  watch those nails.  they was good for a replacement of one jacket.  GOOD LUCK. hope you can do it from the outside!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 01:54:23 pm »
Got them out :) The colony extended another 3 feet into the attic.

Got 2 full buckets of honey.  It was a long, sticky day.
I *definitely* am going to build a bee vac after this experience.  Free bees  :th_thumbsupup:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:17:26 pm by rwurster »
Facebook Link

Moots

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 03:47:12 pm »
You tackled that without a bee vac!  :? :shock:

WOW!  I'm torn between being impressed and stumped as to why you would make a job so much tougher than it has to be.  :laugh:

Lots of pros and cons to the different style bee vacs...But I put together basically a bucket vac with my own design twist.  Probably under $75 in materials and no more than 2 to 3 hours of your time.  I think it's worth it's weight in GOLD!  :laugh:

If you decide to go that route and have any questions....feel free to shout.  :)

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 06:20:41 pm »
I've seen your bee vac and actually really like the design.  Procrastination caught up to me and beat me up yesterday lol.  I'm torn between your design and the 'colorado' bee vac design.  Ill probably go with yours, thanks for the heads up, I had forgotten about how you did it.
Facebook Link

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 06:47:26 pm »
Nice job  :th_thumbsupup:

Don